BA flights to Bangkok

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• David
    Participant

I was wondering if there’s been any further news about BA restarting their direct flights to Bangkok?
    I much prefer to fly direct but the Business fares with Eva and Thai are eye-wateringly expensive now. Though I don’t like flying BA, I was hoping the fares might come down a little if they restarted the route.

Thanks for any information.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello David,

No news as yet although, as regular readers will know, (almost) anything is possible in aviation.

We published this copy in June 2022. Many readers also wonder when BA will resume Bangkok …. just look at the number of comments !

British Airways extends Bangkok suspension into 2023

1 user thanked author for this post.

David
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’d read that article but was just wondering if there’s been any update. Obviously not. I’ll just have to be patient.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi David

Bangkok and other routes potentially coming back have been discussed at length in the following thread:-

BA 2023+ ex LHR/LGW – Where should they “expand”?/Can they really expand?

But to give you a short answer – very unlikely in the next 12 months, although would love to be proved wrong, and the main reason is they are short of everything – long haul aircraft, pilots, cabin crew and even.. hangers!

Even now there is hardly any slack with their flight operations and there are many flights cancelled at short notice.

As I said, I hope I am wrong and given other airlines have beefed up schedules or using larger aircraft – demand is there.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the comment sparkyflier.

If BA *were* to reintroduce Bangkok I can see it deploying one of its 777-200s.

Unlike Lufthansa which is meeting winter demand by using an A380 I cannot see BA giving Bangkok the same priority.

Although as I noted above … nothing is certain in aviation.

Lufthansa to operate A380 on Munich-Bangkok route

christ
    Participant

I would be surprised if BA rush back as i think it was a low yield rate but maybe things have changed now.

Whenever i spoke to crew, they always said it was one of the most troublesome routes with disruptive passengers / fights (closely followed by outbound Vegas).

5 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

When BA did operate on the BKK route they were notorious for always allocating a very un-refurbished 772 which was in a pretty clapped out state – annoying business travellers and also leisure travellers perhaps not used to flying BA and perhaps wondering why bothered! I think a 789 would fill up in all classes.

On a slightly separate issue I did look at the Thai Airways website the other day – which is very out of date, using pictures and referring to their … A380s and 747s which have not been flown in a while!

David
    Participant

I flew the route with BA in July 2019 and it’s the worst Biz experience I’ve had. Poor seating, things not working, mediocre service – especially on the return flight which was clearly understaffed. It was cheap though 🙂

Thai’s problems are well documented and they’re still struggling to get out of the decline caused by going bust. It’s a very poorly run airline.

Eva are head and shoulders above them on this route.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I would guess that BA would re-start flights to KL before Bangkok?

christ
    Participant

Interesting point re KL – i suspect their is far more demand for Bangkok than KL as i do not know many who want to go unless it was a cheap flight to get to Singapore.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@christ – I’m guessing that KL attracts rather less disruptive passengers!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Are BA still flying 9/10 to BKK as cargo or has this now stopped? If they are not being flown, do BA still retain the LHR slots?

Did BA change to cargo for any of their other Far East passenger routes?

AndrewinHK
    Participant

BA no longer operate any service to BKK, the cargo route I assume was in place until passenger demand returned to the wider network. BA funnels traffic through Doha to BKK, similar to EK, I believe BKK is one of the top destinations for EK transit passengers from the U.K., and shareholder Qatar has significant capacity into BKK, this then frees BA up to focus on its North America and higher yielding APAC routes.

cwoodward
    Participant

To me it seems that BA are not flying route simply because it is low yielding and they do not have enough aircraft to operate their network.
    Their previous operation of the route was poor with dated cabins and seeming poor crewing.

Already they will have bequeathed the traffic to other European airlines or OW Cathay who have also picked up most of the UK-HKG traffic over the past few years and is offering a pretty seamless connections onward to Bangkok.
    Another historically profitable route bungled by BA !

MarcusGB
    Participant

I agree that Eva Air provide an excellent service to BKK, though i have only taken their flights from AMS. These i found to be £1,000 less in Biz,than ex UK.
    They offer either Dreamliner 10’s or 773ER’s, with excellent Business class, and the option of a superb Premium Economy cabin.
    The latter they have had on their long haul Aircraft as one of the first Airlines to introduce this for many years, but it looked v comfortable.

I flew Swiss a year ago to BKK, and their flight was completely full ex Zurich. Swiss also have introduced A Premium Economy cabin, on 773-ER’s.
    From the UK, this can easily be enabled using other regional airports, including London City, which enables more options than merely from LHR.

Thai still have 2 LHR flights a day, but their Aircraft and Cabins are not very up to date, and still use 773ER’s, only one has First Class each day.
    pity they did not feature their flagship A350’s, on such a prominent route. They used to run their A380.

In regard to KUL, very few Airlines from Europe fly there now, and it is certainly NOT a cheaper route to get to Singapore.
    KLM still do, but a return Business Class is £2,200-3,500, from AMS itself, or starting to connect in the UK.
    however, KLM do run a comfortable 789, with 1-2-1 Suites, and the new Premium Economy cabin.

I have found a few weeks ago, KUL to be Very run down, terminal transit rail closed for bus only connection, few places to eat or drink, most Lounges closed, v limited shops 20% of what was there pre-covid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls