BA first flight to St Helena.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 123 total)

• Roddy65
    Participant

Now that we have finally agreed who is flying from where under which flag I have to share the concerns of others about what there is to do when you get there.
    Ten days in 1990 was more than enough for me especially when the journey was on a boat from & to Walvis Bay…….
    But things might have changed. Just manage expectations accordingly

openfly
    Participant

@Roddy65 I agree. When the flight goes to twice weekly I think tourism will really take off. Definitely on my bucket list. Apparently there are only about 150 beds available to book….bit of a problem if the Comair/BA flight lands with more than 150….!!

For those that were interested, I gather that Luanda is the diversion airport. I’m sure others will tell me I am wrong.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Roddy, yes that’s true. I suppose if you like bird spotting it might be OK.

I wonder if there is time to do a back to back there in the same way as you can do as a BA ex-EU trip? It could make a for a long and tiring day though.

Do the crew have enough hours to do both legs or will a second crew have to be carried? I’m guessing a one week stopover might not be economic….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

came across this:

They will be offering weekly flights to St Helena, every Saturday, on a Boeing 737-800 aircraft in British Airways livery.

The flights will offer both business class and economy seating on the five-hour flight.

One flight a week will depart from Johannesburg every Saturday morning at 08:20 (local South African time) and will arrive at St Helena Airport at approximately 11:30 (local time in St Helena).

The return flight will depart from St Helena at 12:30 (local time in St Helena) and will arrive at OR Tambo International Airport at approximately 18:30 (local South African time).

The aircraft will be capable of carrying up to 120 passengers and a limited amount of cargo. Increased frequency “will be considered if there is sufficient demand,” Comair says.
    I’d imagine they’ll have two crews though maybe 10 hours with a break is allowed?

SimonS1
    Participant

120 passengers – that is light for a 737. I thought 170 was the norm, should be ‘middle seat free’ type stuff.

MrMichael
    Participant

Ten hour day or more for one crew is not uncommon. I a few years ago used Easyjet, LGW to SSH, about five hours each way with an hours stopover and no crew change. Interesting to see though in case of tech prob if they carry an engineer and a few spares.

dwlhr09
    Participant

It is clear that most of you making comments on here have not got a clue what you are talking about and not as well travelled as you make out to be.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

dwlhr09 – 21/04/2016 21:49 BST

Have you been reading my thread?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Walting-on-BT

kevin46
    Participant

10 hour flight time is far removed from the actual duty day for the crew.

MrMichael
    Participant

dwlhr09. So if some or all of us are getting it wrong….put us right.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news. The Independent reports that the opening of the £250 million St Helena airport has been postponed indefinitely.

Windshear is the problem.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/st-helena-airport-opening-postponed-again-a7002226.html

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I have to say I’m not surprised, when looking at the terrain around the field.

This is an approach and landing on a day with windshear at Funchal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEG6b91dG8

and here is a truly lousy weather day and some go arounds (don’t watch if you are a nervous flyer.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F46n0zf2w

MrMichael
    Participant

Surely some pretty basic wind tunnel modelling should have told them this could have been a problem. Exactly what are they waiting for with the delay…..more global warming.

Disappointing that Prince Edward won’t be stranded on St Helena, they could have waited until he landed and then made the decision!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MrMichael – 26/04/2016 19:40 BST

But as the steamer service will still be operating, HRH would always have had an alternative way to get off the island….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 123 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls