BA Executive Club – Upgrades

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

CIV score is the answer… It has been discussed in the past on this forum: https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/The-Mystery-of-CIV-scoring/

Nick
    Participant

I find I’m more likely to be upgraded by BA when on an Avios redemption than when on a cash ticket.

Flying WTP you’re also more likely to be upgraded, as it’s such a small cabin!

traveldoc1
    Participant

I would support this. My wife and I were flying ex-MAN (via LHR) to USA and went to book seats. We were told that there was a VERY high chance of an upgrade as the flight was overbooked and my wife was Gold. However he then noticed she had ordered a special (GF meal) which he said would prevent an upgrade. He advised us to cancel the GF meal (which we did) and we did indeed get upgraded both ways.

Casey_99
    Participant

Have been BA Exec for 20 years, mainly Silver but Gold for last 5-6years.
    I have been upgraded from Eco to Eco+, and Eco+ to Bus occasionally.
    BA often send me a questionnaire about my experience. I’m not shy in giving candid feedback and ratings if I haven’t had the experience the ticket price justified. E.g shabby planes, seats & lounges; IFE not operating fully; in-seat tables dirty or damaged.
    Often a few flights later I’d be upgraded at check-in, be told they are happy to welcome me back etc etc.

Like others here, BA lost being my favourite airline some years ago. Avios is nice for getting very cheap short-haulflights in Europe but I’m very tempted to switch to Delta and their partners as my US colleagues always buy Eco or Eco+ and get upgraded very frequently. Never understood why BA doesn’t upgrade more frequent flyers.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=987597][/postquote]

A few years ago, flying in a 747 from Vancouver to LHR in Economy my wife and I were upgraded from Economy to Business. We walked away from the check-in desk with our new Boarding cards, only to be called back and told that our original seats were to be allocated. I asked why – and was told it was because we had ordered special meals and they couldn’t be carried from Economy through to Business.

I made a big fuss and offered to cancel the meals – but this was declined because they were already on-board. However, we were then offered a change to the upstairs “bubble”, which was all-economy. We accepted – and in fact found the seats and service very acceptable. They were in rows of two and two, with quite a lot more leg-room than downstairs. However, we were astonished to find that to reach the stairs, to get up to us, the crew had to carry our meals through the Business cabin to which we had been previously allocated!

One other issue: whilst we were sitting near the gate, waiting to board, and elderly couple sat down next to us. She started telling off her husband “Why did you let them change our seats to this Business Class. What the hell is it? I don’t want to be sitting with a bunch of fuddy-duddy business people. Go and tell them you want our old seats back”. I don’t know if he did.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls