BA Executive Club .. ‘UK, Europe or American address’

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

• dutchyankee
    Participant

Binman, correct me if I am wrong, but T5 is not the only place with BA lounges! Try BRU during Jet Airways 7 departures within a two hour window , or in AMS with numerous other airlines! Gatwick can be hell as can a number of other airports! You are right, of course, T5 will not see a reduction in the crowds by this, but luckily a number of other lounges will benefit.

Gold-2K
    Participant

So given the removal of the additonal gold benefits, I dont think there is enough additional benefits in striving for gold esp if you usually travel in the premium long haul cabins. My advice, get enough to retain silver then focus on getting status with Star Alliance and Skyteam. I have travelled almost exclusively on BA for the last ten years but now realise they dont love me as much as I thought. Off to Doha next week with Qatar and not BA for the first time! Their loss!!!!

Binman62
    Participant

Dutchyankee…. Vk in correcting me is right and the issue in bru will not be going away as a result of this benefit erosion. Nor anywhere else where BA allow access to one world passengers. So in doing what they did they have managed to annoy many gold card frequent fliers for little benefit. From June 17 don’t expect to see empty lounges.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Binman, I gave you one prime example of BRU during a daily two hour Jet Airways major departure period where a number of Jet passengers use the BA terraces lounge. Jet operates their own lounges in BRU so those using the BA lounge are BA members as well. For sure the removal of this minor benefit will benefit Gold holders such as myself that prefer the lounge less crowded, computer terminals free, plenty of free seats away from crowds. I have no doubt other cities will likewise benefit from fewer crowds as well.

Swissdiver
    Participant

dutchyankee: wrong perspective. This was already discussed in another thread. So to make it short, we are BA’s best clients and expect for that a global service.
    As often written, many of us will spend less with BA since Silver will be enough for us.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Swissdiver, I didn’t realise you spoke for all BA clients. I, like you am a very frequent flier with BA, however, unlike those for whom you are the spokesperson, I am not annoyed, angry, nor bothered by this one benefit being removed, and have only attempted to show how at certain airports, the result will be positive.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Swissdiver speaks for me.

anthonyjp
    Participant

Thanks Binman,

I travel longhaul in World Traveller Plus so live for the upgrades; my motivation for getting Gold is largely to increase the chances of this happening.

SwissExPat
    Participant

One major disadvantage of moving your BA exec account oversease is if you are an American EXpress UK customer and you are looking to accumulate a COMPANION VOUCHER via the AMEX account spending.

Technically the COMPANION VOUCHER is only available to UK RESIDENTS.

Foe those with large BA exec miles balances the AMEX voucher is a godsend in that it allows you to spend the miles twice with your spouse (I do this usually long haul in FIRST every other year)

Hence I keep my BA Exec account in the UK although I would have some other benefits available to me through the local BA Exec Scheme.

BA forbid you having 2 Exec accounts (1 in UK and 1 overseas)

Rgds P

flyboy10
    Participant

One question I have on this subject – I am on the verge of Silver membership, I wish to use my personal miles to upgrade on some business flights (probably coach to WT Plus). I am told by BA exec club in the UK that i CANNOT do this if the ticket was purchased through a travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit in my case). I THEN learn that if i was a US exec club member I can do this……..! I see this as a major benefit and unbelieveable in such a disparity in the schemes mechanics, can anyone comment?

RichHI1
    Participant

I had a BA EC account for many years up until about 5 years ago when it lapsed. This was US based and there were many differences with the conditions and offers to UK accounts. AAdvantage have similar differences between UK and US based accounts. Airlines are highly competitive and react to what the local carriers are offering in each market and what the traveller segment they are trying to attract value. I am fortunate to have addresses in different countries to play the game to my advantage. If it is important to you and you only have a residence in one country then you can always open a mailbox in other jurisdictons and base your membership there. Only drawback is certain competitions may well require legal residence in that jurisdiction (parrticularly those in UK and US).
    By the way you can move your account with the balance on hand. You simly call them up and give them the new address. There will be a lot of “but that is not in Europe, we will fall off the edge of the world.. type talk but eventually they will transfer it. Takes about 2-3 weeks I think. Check wherever you transfer to does not tax FFB benefits.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls