BA Executive Club .. ‘UK, Europe or American address’

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Home@FL350 – you have missed out one major benefit for travellers who whould normally be between the 800 and 1500 Tier points level. Once Gold level has been achieved miles are doubled. Depending on your flight profile, i.e. longhaul, this is an additional benefit of the European BAEC.

As far as the British special offers are concerned, one box of wine several years ago does not say much about the value BA puts on its home based BAEC members. As we all know, most Brits follow like sheep therefore it is highly unlikely that BAEC will see that there is a need to offer its UK members anything special!

What a lovely day it has been today……..

Stretch
    Participant

I think BA need to take a good, hard look at the way they treat UK based members – they’re the ones who should be appreciated and looked after more. I have “addresses” in Europe where I can easily register my membership. As a silevr member my reasons will be solely to reach gold status quicker than being registered in the UK, even though nearly all of my flights will be ex. London. Are there any other reasons why I should keep my membership registered in the UK?

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am a bit puzzled reading this thread. I thought that during the last big program evolution (5-6 years ago) they decided the thresholds would be the same for all. Isn’t it the case? As a Switzerland base number, I have 400 and 800 for Silver resp. Gold. Then 2000 for free couple of upgrade vouchers and then some more stuffs. Are the UK based members having higher thresholds?

Stretch
    Participant

Disgracefully, thresholds in the UK are 600 (Silver) and 1,500 (Gold).

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, Stretch. I guess the idea is to attract foreign passengers. Btw, FlyingBlue has a similar policy (http://www.airfrance.ch/X01/en/local/voyageurfrequent/flyingblue/fblue_avantages_elite_devenir.htm) as well to a lesser extent Miles&More (http://www.miles-and-more.com/online/portal/mam/ch/program/information?nodeid=2547184).

Stretch
    Participant

Also, does anyone know how the BA/IB merger will affect miles claims? For example will a BA LHR – MAD flight have the same mileage as an IB flight, no matter who you book the ticket through?

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

Just for comparion:
    Air France require a higher threshold for Platinum for members with registered address in France
    Lufthansa require a higher threshold for FF and SEN status for members registered in Germany

However, the gap between home market and abroad qualification levels are not as steep as BA.

There is one disadvantage I have discovered being registered in Sweden: reward ticket redemption requirements are higher. In M&M and FB I get my additional leg to CDG or FRA included.

openfly
    Participant

Just to be clear the non-UK Silver and Gold triggering levels vary from country to country.
    South Africa has the same 800/1500 levels as the UK.

anthonyjp
    Participant

Hi there,

I am UK-based and have held silver status in the BA Executive club for several years. I currently have 500 points and my membership year runs till September. I will reach 800+ points in July, so if I wish to get gold status, should I change my address to a European address now, or wait till I get the 800 point?

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Anthony

Binman62
    Participant

Anthonyjp….
    If you know you will get 800 points then move now. You cannot change again for 6 months but when you do you will retain the gold card and all gold UK benefits.
    This to note. If you have a BA Amex card you should not use it as the rules say you must be UK based. If you are trying to obtain a 241 voucher you need to think about this. You will officially not be allowed to use a 241 voucher if you have one as again the rules say you need to be UK based. My existing voucher shows available for use on BA.com but others report it is shaded out.
    I have gotten around this by putting the card in a drawer and will change back with 4 weeks left to obtain my next voucher.
    There is now no mileage benefit in having gold as silver and gold get 100% extra.
    There is no open access from June 17th so you can no longer gain lounge access except if flying BA
    There is stil the soft landing to silver if next year you fail to reach any target on tier points….for the moment.
    Access to first lounge and first checking is still available
    Seat selection is improved including 1a k on 747 but only for you not travel companions.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Binman wrote: “There is no open access from June 17th so you can no longer gain lounge access except if flying BA”

Not correct.

Any oneworld ticket – even economy – will grant both BA and partner lounge access worldwide, as has always been the case.

Swissdiver
    Participant

VK: Isn’t it the minimum they can do? What BinMan referred to in his excellent description of the current BA benefits is the fact that BA ruthlessly suppressed a service to its best customers. But you know that.

anthonyjp
    Participant

Thanks all, very useful. If I change now, will my membership year be reset as soon as I get 800 points / Gold, or will it remain as September?

Cheers,

Anthony

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Swissdiver, a little over dramatic don’t you think ‘BA ruthlessly suppressed a service to its best customers.’ I am grateful for the change as it will hopefully reduce some of the over crowding that occurs in a number of BA lounges world wide. If you are not flying with BA or another One World carrier, then I am sure you will have access to the lounge of the airline you are flying with as you no doubt are in Business Class or better.

Binman62
    Participant

anthonyjp…you will gain gold as soon as you hit 800. I thought that this would also reset the year however when I triggered the year remained as it was originally and you get a few extra days, weeks or months. In my case however I have never had a card or bag tags and now on my 3rd attempt. I might be back in the UK before I get one.
    Another thing to note is that redemption bookings are charged in Euro and refunded in Euro. This can result in refunds taking a very long time in my experience.

dutchyankee..the withdrawl of this benefit at just 1 months notice, will not make one jot of difference to the overcrowding in T5. The problem there is the hangerson and the blanket 1 guest allowed for every card holder. This is the problem which needs tackling. The issue that drove BA into this lamentable and petty decision was the competition from Easy Jet at LGW.
    No one at BA should underestimate the level of upset this has caused both in the manner of the announcement and in the decision itself. Another site has 870 plus post on the subject and an astounding 187,000 views in under a month.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls