BA cut Lusaka, Zambia route from 31st October

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Turkish do not fly to LUN and have not yet announced that they will. They may intend to at some stage, but it has not happened yet. You might want to check your sources maxmcgeorge.

SimonS1
    Participant

Turkish don’t fly to Lusaka but were rumoured to be looking 3 years back.

http://www.alternativeairlines.com/turkish-airlines-looking-at-new-route-to-lusaka-zambia

They do code share with Ethiopian on the Addis to Lusaka route which is triangular via Harare on some days.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I wonder if certain posters on here have heard of a balanced business scorecard?

A total focus on profit in all decision making can have outcomes just as disastrous as not focusing on profit at all.

A good strategy is required, not a blind focus on profit, if a firm wishes to have a sustainable business model.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@FDoS

I agree with you, but when you think how long BA has served LUN be it as BOAC (and even earlier), B-Cal, and in its own right as BA, in various routings, one must imagine the decision to stop the route was not just a simple snap decision. I would imagine they have tried to make it work, and it doesn’t. It would be fool hardy to continue to operate the route if it wasn’t holding its own.

I, like you, am no BA apologist, but I have to imagine the decision was a sound business one, and some posters here feel such a decision should not have been taken due to solely ’emotional’ grounds, which these days shareholders really have no time for.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

dutchyankee

Don’t disagree with you, my point is simply that a business needs a good strategy and it must balance profit with other perspectives, unless it wishes to be a ‘cash cow’ and to either go out of business or be acquired, as the cow becomes older, feeble and unable to produce so much milk.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Some of the old multi stop routes have such a history and fond memories

maxgeorge
    Participant

Re TK to LUN, Sparky, Simon’s right. It’s a connection. TK676/677, then TK codeshare on Ethiopian from Addis. I’d seen Lusaka as a web destination, but hadn’t noticed the asterisk. Must have been that third belt of raki in the lounge.

For those of you who, inexplicably, have not visited Lusaka of late, the place is booming. Still chaotic and not as scenic as Luanda, perhaps, but there’s money about. Vast new shopping mall recently opened.

Livingstone’s shiny new terminal is almost finished, too

Another regional update – Air Zimbabwe is back is business. A daily flight HRE-Vic Falls.

And if you’re flying up to LIV on Comair, remember your yellow fever cert. They won’t let you board without one ( as of Sept. 1, last time I did the trip.).

BusinessBabble
    Participant

I see KLM are now also cutting their Lusaka / Harare route Oct 14.

Basically leaves them both with Emirates, and SAA, Kenya Airways and Ethopian.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls