BA Club World food

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• DontTurnRight
    Participant

They could have served up Beef burgers from Tescos!!!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

LMFO :O)

lloydah &Cheeryguy,

No silly… its the concept of using supermarket own branded goods (Dutchy Originals) to serve passengers, its not like its Fortnum & Masons or Harrods.

Nothing wrong with Aldi

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/company/9266_20865.htm

You must be thinking Asda or Tesco :O) x

lloydah
    Participant

Neighhhhh!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FDoS – interesting, I am being taught by a German, who has a Dutch background. Thanks for the correction.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I have never heard Waitrose being described as cheap before !!

esselle
    Participant

Rather surprised by rferguson’s 12.23 comment. If the BA senior management don’t proscribe, then of course the outcomes will be variable.

Imagine the pilot instruction suggesting the undercarriage be lowered somewhere between 2500 and 1000 feet!

Seriously, the answer to the OP is that this will only be resolved when the management of the business decide that it is, actually, rather important.

timothy222
    Participant

i am the same as rferguson… i cannot for the life of me understand why other galley operators or csds switch on the ovens within 2 minutes of wheels up. occasionally on the goodnight service out of the east coast i give them a blast on the ground to minimise cooking time in the air and thus maximise sleep time, but again I wait until the drinks service to start before I switch the ovens on and not blowing my trumpet I never serve dry steak or fish or burnt out pasta.

I also wholly agree with bettyboop’s comment about the bacon rolls, they are disgusting (except out of Canada, where they are nice rolls and nice thick bacon and JFK where we now serve a ham and cheese toastie), i put the rolls in the oven back from PHL the other morning and there was a huge slab of butter in them, so of course the butter melts and the rolls go soggy and also the bread is not the best.

The problem is that there are too many cooks (pardon the pun) in BA regards the cooking of the meals. there is no clear laid down time to start cooking the meals, we do have a Chefs Chat which gives recommended cooking times but these do not reflect if the meals are slightly cold or something… for example I operated a BKK the other day, I cooked the breakfasts for the recommended time from Gate Gourmet for the brekkie 20-25 mins and the sausages are stone cold as they have been on chill since london (at least 8 hours in aircraft chillers before cooking), then you cook the meals for longer to get the sausages hot and you end up with grey eggs… so unless like first you cook the eggs seperate then they will be problems…

Another problem I find is when I am galley operator I like to be in the galley sorting the trollies, meal orders, putting ovens on, running things to the others in the cabin…. what annoys me is when you are the designated galley operator and the CSD decides to take over and do things their way, such as cooking the meals at least an hour before you eat them and then leaving them in an oven with an ambient temperature of 350’F when they are turned off and dont drop much before served so they dry out, indeed I have eaten crew food from the left over club food after 2 hours from when cooked and they are still boiling hot (and bone dry).

Also, the way the meals are loaded by the caterers get caught up because the oven racks aren’t wide enough… new catering equipment has been loaded from now, some of you may have seen the new rectangular dishes, these are in preperation for the 787 and A380 and are much easier to store in the ovens

I think at the end of the day the food is never going to be fantastic but if we could all sing from the same hymn sheet they may be enjoyable instead of the way I read some turn up. I like to take pride in the catering when I do it, and always try my best to work as a galley operator in club (usually though due to my seniority I am bottom of the list and am left galley operator!)

BeckyBoop
    Participant

timothy/rferguson

Do you put the meals straight into a cold over or have to wait till they get up to optimum temperature before loading. I am wondering if you have to wait till they warm up then load the meals, how much of the heat is then lost.

There certainly appears to be a training issue here in regards to how meals are prepared on board as everyone does this differently hence why people complain of inconsistency onbard. It should be raised centrally for refresher training amongst crew.

BTW timothy its Becky not Betty 😉

As I am not a foodie, I’m just happy that I haven’t had to prepare it myself!

HongKongLady
    Participant

Here here to that, alexpo1

timothy222
    Participant

in regards to the meals into the ovens, when we arrive at the aircraft the ovens have been pre loaded by the caterers so they are cold food in cold ovens, with the second meal service we load the meals ourselves and it is a cold oven as if we warm the ovens up we have no space to the racks whilst waiting

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls