BA Club World food

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

We had countless discussions regarding this topic. That said, the hot food on BA is still dreadful, the breakfast I got this morning only being the latest sample. So here is the question: is there a slight chance the hot food could be improved without steam ovens being installed?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Ovens is only a small part of it. You have to think about the whole supply chain.

Quality of ingredients from the departure point. Some countries may not be as god as others.

The catering firm who make the food.

The staff on board who prep it.

I am no fan of airplane food in general (all airlines) but BA’s hot breakfast is generally a dive (in F & J) especially the bacon rolls. So if you are on an early morning flight best to eat in the lounge prior to departure or wait till you get to arrivals. Otherwise just stick to fresh fruit pastries etc.

Shearer
    Participant

Something definitely chnaged as I remember looking forward to the BA breakfast. Last time it was swimming in oil. Horrible!

rferguson
    Participant

Yes it can be improved – by the crew not switching on the ovens so early! Lol.

When I work in Club i’m amazed when some galley operators/CSD switch the ovens on more or less straight after take off. The meals cook within 30-35 minutes – by about which time we are probably just starting to hand out the meal trays with starters. Then go and collect in the used starter plates and top up wines and waters. Then go and serve the hot meals. By which time they have been sat cooked in an oven for half an hour drying out. I don’t know why some crew panic that they have to cook the meals so early incase they arent ready by the time starters are finished. When I work as galley operator I start the ovens when the drinks run has been completed.

In terms of both the hot breakfasts and (most) of the hot lunch/dinner options the food when it is fresh out of a hot oven is pretty damned good. But leave it sitting in there for longer than ten to fifteen minutes and it just dries to a horrid bit of cardboard.

Beckyboop you are definitely right in terms of point of origin of the food as well. But as for the horrid bacon rolls – they have changed! :-)) Out of the US east coast anyway. They are now a really quite good scrambled egg/bacon/cheese ciabatta.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I was interested to hear rferguson point on the timing of the crews service, I agree that sometimes the food is very dry and this is obviously the reason why. I generally find the BA food to be ok and often delicious. I think where other airlines do better is they actually show you the food and then ask you to choose, often the description given doesn’t really do the food justice, although if you ask BA will let you do this. I have recently been flying Cathay more thn BA and I have noticed that their service has seen changes and not for the better, but that is another story.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The current quality of food I choose in CW is “sehr lekker” (German already improving!).

The major pax complaints I over hear are about the meat dishes which seem to occasionaly arrive rubbery or too chewy.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Interestingly the breakfast (yes another one!) on the LKH DUB flight was not bad at all! Is it because I’d was made in LHR?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Pet hate here is breakfast on many transatlantic flights. Dread the bacon roll and cannot see why proper breakfast cannot be offered. Also fruit salad on last flight was packaged as if it came straight from a supermarket shelf!! This is penny pinching at best! Shame as dinner is usually quite good.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

rjbrownmalta, the BA club world kitchen is now supplied by Waitrose. Very bad cheap and tacky… yuk!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

I think you mean ‘lecker’, unless you are trying to improve your Dutch, too 🙂

lloydah
    Participant

Becky – “very bad cheap and tacky” ?? You sure you’re not thinking Aldi? My kitchen’s supplied by Waitrose and it’s anything but.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Waitrose you say? Waitrose, the darling of the Home Counties and beyond….”tacky” how very dare you ?
    I shall be composing a strongly worded letter to the paragon of fairness and open minded ness forthwith ! ( The Daily Mail ) just in case my sarcasm failed to hit the spot.
    ;-))

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

rjbrown

I have it on good authority that BA main meals are supplied by Pal 😉

Well the ‘beef bacon’ roll I was offered on the way back from Riyadh may not even have been fit for our four legged friends, I didn’t chance it, back it went! It was disgusting.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

To be fair, 2 weeks later I had some really nice short ribs for dinner between BDA and LGW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls