BA Club World food service

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Nickberry
    Participant

Having been to New York last month and travelled in the new Club suites the lunch was presented on one tray with all courses together ..Does any one have any information when the old style service will be resumed as off to CPT on 11th ?

FrDougal
    Participant

There have been claims that it will be reinstated by end of March but I think it all depends on whenever BA manage to sort out their staffing crises. The reduced CW service is the only reason they are getting away with under-crewing their flights and they still have a long way to go before they have their numbers right.

3 users thanked author for this post.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I, too, did a JFK return and was appalled at the Club World all-on-one-tray meal offering.

The ‘starter’ was an avocado and edamame super green salad, which was served in a ramekin with a piece of avocado the size of a thumbnail and six edamame beans. There was no salad, but a watery dressing. It wasn’t enough to nourish a big toe let alone the rest of the body. Mains were also parsimonious with three choices (pork, chicken curry or vegan cottage pie). Desserts (plural on the menu, but only one selection) was a berry trifle and was likewise served in a ramekin. Interestingly, it was exactly the same dessert as I’d had on a recent Club Europe short hop. Cheese was mature cheddar an red Leicester. These are hardly inspirational or tasty cheese choices, it looked and tasted like they were the cheapest offered by catering. At best this was no better than an economy meal served on porcelain.

The second meal was equally poor, with a half a sandwich offered with one slice of tomato with some cole slaw on it, along with a bag of crisps. The latter is such a lazy and cheap offering. Crew were clearly embarrassed at serving this to customers, and I (as well as others) actually left the aircraft hungry.

I’ve done a bit of research since returning, and note that most carriers are back to normal multi-course service on board. Air France are offering two starters plus a salad, main course, cheese and a trio of desserts. Virgin are doing their usual plated offerings. KLM are back to their elegant service with starter/salad, main, dessert and cheese offerings. Lufthansa offers a choice of three decent starters and four main courses.

The crew admitted to working one down to save money, and the one-tray service is accommodate this, but crew use ‘covid’ as an excuse. In reality, is appears to be nothing more than cost saving for BA. Club ticket prices aren’t as low as they were last year…the competition certainly seem to be offering a better food & beverage product by a country mile.

6 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

StephenLondon, thanks for posting.

It’s striking that BA is trying “to save money” with food in Club World, when a ticket costs thousands more than in economy? When are they going to realize that people notice this, people resent this, and people have a choice of carrier.

Sometimes I think that BA still believe they are a superior airline on JFK and other routes, and that people choose them for this reason. No, BA – some people, like me, vote with their feet…. and don’t look back. I used to spend a fortune on BA, but they’ve lost my custom (for now.)

2 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

I always carry some food when I’m going on a BA longhaul flight and find that more often than not it comes in handy.

I started this practice after an experience many years ago when I slept through the meal service on a flight and received a rather churlish response when I asked for some food after I woke up.

1 user thanked author for this post.

red_robbo
    Participant

Is it really cost cutting, or simply the need to reduce crew numbers where possible due to Covid isolation that is currently affecting every industry? Reducing crew numbers allows more flights to be operated, rather than cancelled due to staff shortages. Looking at the bigger picture, which option has the greater impact on passengers?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Reminds me of the last time I flew BA, which was in F. This was in 2020 as I recall, and the entire meal was served in something looking a bit like a pizza box. Heaven only knows why. The excuse was, of course, Covid, but I couldn’t help but think that since there were both hot and cold items in the box, this meant the box had been handled multiple times and therefore the whole approach actually increased the risk….

I expect that my next long-haul flight will be my retirement flight when we move from HKG (where we have lived for almost thirty years) to a small prosperous British financial centre on a rock in the sea sharing a land border with a much larger country which wants to regain sovereignty over it. It’ll be just like old times!

We’ll have to transit, and since Gibraltar only has flight connections with the UK it’ll probably be London (although Manchester is a possibility). I’m inclined to splash out on a flight in F – and oneworld would be preferred. But which airline????

K1ngston
    Participant

Reminds me of the last time I flew BA, which was in F. This was in 2020 as I recall, and the entire meal was served in something looking a bit like a pizza box. Heaven only knows why. The excuse was, of course, Covid, but I couldn’t help but think that since there were both hot and cold items in the box, this meant the box had been handled multiple times and therefore the whole approach actually increased the risk….

I expect that my next long-haul flight will be my retirement flight when we move from HKG (where we have lived for almost thirty years) to a small prosperous British financial centre on a rock in the sea sharing a land border with a much larger country which wants to regain sovereignty over it. It’ll be just like old times!

We’ll have to transit, and since Gibraltar only has flight connections with the UK it’ll probably be London (although Manchester is a possibility). I’m inclined to splash out on a flight in F – and oneworld would be preferred. But which airline????

Qatar Ian, if you have to fly OneWorld cant see CX being ready and able to take you on the next stage of your life??

Good luck with the move

Craig
    Participant

We flew earlier this week from Miami in Club World and the meal offering was terrible. I didn’t mind the fact our dinner was served on a tray but the cod curry I had was completely overcooked and tasteless. There was very little in the way of service either. The crew seemed keen to get the passengers off to sleep by cranking up the heat. Another low was the quality of the breakfast. Whilst the seat is important so is the feeling that you are valued and that you are being cared for.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller December 2021 / January 2022 edition
Business Traveller December 2021 / January 2022 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls