BA Chain of Command Onboard

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I must confess I have not really commented on this thread but something has struck me. FDOS, you seem to have referred a couple of times to a single incident 15 years ago when a crew member on an airline questioned the authority of the captain. In any business employing thousands of people there will be the odd freak of nature, and freak is I think what it was. Not a pattern, not a lack of training, just an idiot freak that does not represent in any way worldwide the crew attitude towards the skipper. Indeed this is a less common occurrence than the captain being under the influence, where the crew should have challenged the old lush.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael

Idiot freaks do not get to be cabin crew, in the UK.

MrMichael
    Participant

Well FDOS, one freak clearly did get through as they failed to realise the chap at the front with the stripes on his shoulder was in charge! Any business can make errors in recruitment, as proved by pilots being under the influence of drink or drugs or those that decide to commit suicide and take a plane load of people with them. Freaks.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Handbag and others make a very good point.

If a cabin crew member elects to ignore an order of the Captain or fails to consult the Captain where necessary/appropriate , they do so knowing that it is still the Captain who is in charge.

In terms of safety, whether it be mixedfleet, worldwide, euro, tall, short bald or hairy ( ;-P ) – I personally have complete confidence that the order of authority on a BA aircraft is clear for all involved. And this thread has reinforced that view.

Personal thanks to all the crew that have contributed to this. I’ve found your input very interesting and enlightening. And thanks to FDOS_UK for starting it. It’s prompted some fun discussion.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I had a ‘first’ yesterday on my flight from London to Tirana, but one which I imagine others must have experienced.

The captain came out into the cabin, took the microphone, and made the welcome announcement in person. He said that he always does this, so I am sure others must have come across him at some point – sadly I did not note down his name,

He introduced his first officer, his cabin crew and explained about the seatbelt sign etc. – all the usual stuff – but doing it in person I am sure made people pay far more attention than they usually do.

It made for a very reassuring feeling on board (mainly Albanians flying back to Tirana with children) and he even got a ripple of applause at the end.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve just taken 2 mixed fleet mid haul flights and listened carefully to the greeting announcements.

On both flights, the CSM used the form of words, ‘I’d like to add my welcome onboard……’ no mention of ‘my crew.’

In both cases, the pilot making the PA (P1 outbound, P2 returning) introduced the whole crew, by given name, before the CSM added her/his welcome.

openfly
    Participant

@DavidSmith2..,,,,sounds excellent. But maybe the PA button on his RT box was broken!! He had to do it from the cc position. I know…I’ve spoilt the illusion……:-)

NTarrant
    Participant

I wonder if that would be the same captain that some four plus years ago, the flights to Jersey were delayed, one had been cancelled and there was snow at Gatwick. He made an announcement at the gate, apologising for the delays and appreciated that some had been waiting longer than others and that he and the crew will do the usual checks and we can be boarding in 10-15 minutes.

True to his word, we were boarding in that time. Once boarded he made an announcement standing where all could see, apologising for the delay and said unlike our competitors we have a spare plane in the hanger which is why we have been able to minimise the disruption, then the usual enjoy the flight. (My colleague whispers, “if the plane was in the hanger, why is there snow on the wings”, I just said, “don’t spoil it”)

Excellent customer service

handbag
    Participant

openfly – 02/07/2016 10:57 BST

I went to Munich the other week, and saw the Captain do the same thing. First for me as well.

esselle
    Participant

Have seen the captain do this a few times. Most recently, one commented that he had added a special section to the safety video, and that anybody who spotted it would receive a free cup of BA tea as a prize. One way of getting the pax to pay attention.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls