BA boarding procedure and changes to carry-on

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

• Alexthegreat
    Participant

I have seen BA staff patrol trhe gate area in T5 and slap on yellow tags – but its not that often. As an aside, I have yet to see someone being challenged when they are on a Hand Baggage Only Fare

GrahamSmith

This comes into force on August 18.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101910/ba-downsizes-carry-on-baggage-allowance

I’ve asked BA when/where the yellow tags will be added.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

And those yellow tags can, of course, always be retained from a previous flight and affixed to a bag before arrival at the gate…..

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I did hear a member of BA gate staff, earlier this year, mutter to her colleague after she’d made the call for F and J and card holders to board, and the whole planeload of people moved forward; “I didn’t know everybody was flying in business…”

PhilipHart
    Participant

Check out comments on the subject on the Head for Points article.

Of special (and concerning) note is Rob’s recent personal experience :-

(Although … I should warn you. This happened on a recent flight I was on. As I was in Row 1, I was able to hear the dispatcher telling the cabin crew that, actually, the bags being removed were not being placed in the hold because there was no time as the plane was already running late.)

Str8Talking
    Participant

On the boarding front, I agree it has been an absolute mess in recent years. However, does starting with First, Club and Elite Members (I assume this includes Bronze still) solve the problem? For people in lounges, by the time the screens flash “Boarding”, the ground staff are already in the process of boarding at the gate, so the initial call will be missed. Surely the simple solution is to make sure there are priority lines, and that these are used as they should?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Carajillo2Sugar – 28/07/2015 17:52 BST : I took some flights recently with Iberia to Spain & Portugal and they did something similar whereby, on boarding, some passengers’ hand-luggage was placed in the hold with an orange tag and they collected it from the hold on arrival. Mind you, that was boarding by steps, so how BA will work it from an airbridge is going to be interesting!

This is common on US domestic flights with smaller aircraft – but there, they have a luggage lift to get bags up onto the airbridge!

canucklad
    Participant

More good news from BA…..
    First the 380 is heading to YVR and now, including the kitchen sink” brigade under control….. Well done : )

icenspice
    Participant

Yet again BA is trying hard to emulate its LCC rivals.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ IanFromHKG – 29/07/2015 15:30 BST

You may have noticed that there is an exit door and stairs adjacent to the control panel for the air stairs. § 😉

The baggage loaders will have to walk up the stairs and carry bags down (err, jettison them over the side?!!) and then physically drag them over to the baggage hold. I rather imagine that they are not going to be appreciating this additional task.

It usually takes a while for new boarding procedures, including much tougher enforcement of carry-ons, to “bed-in” but once it has become clear that this is for real (as with Flyanscare), then most consumers start adjusting their behaviour. But it really will require consistency and determination by BA’s ground handling agents, whoever and wherever they are, to make this a reality. Are they up to this?

canucklad
    Participant

AD and Ian,
    I’ve also seen chutes similar to water park slides that drop from the airbridge down to the apron….And I totally agree, it will take a concerted effort and consistent approach by BA to hammer the message home, before behavioural change benefits us all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the problems will come from transit passengers whose previous airline doesn’t enforce hand baggage rules and also from those who treat Heathrow as a shopping mall.

DerekVH
    Participant

It would help everyone if the airlines/airport authorities would use more than one door for boarding, at Glasgow two doors are used for most LHR flights and it makes and incredible difference. I appreciate this requires more ground staff but ii believe it would significantly improve on time departures. That said there are many flights where a single door is used to board a 747 but an A380 usually always gets 3.

MrMichael
    Participant

Martyn, are you suggesting LHR is not a shopping mall? Surely some mistake!

canucklad
    Participant

Valid point Derek about using both doors…….
    Westjet gates at YVR have airbridges that allows access to both front and aft doors on their 737s
    In addition to my earlier comment, . I’ll add that it would be nice if IACO could take the lead and strive for a uniformed approach to the carry on baggage fiasco.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls