BA apologises for delaying in-flight showing of Hapless sitcom

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

BA will now show the Jewish themed British sitcom in January

From Jewish News online

“British Airways has apologised for postponing the inclusion of a Jewish-themed British sitcom from its in-flight entertainment due to the conflict in the Middle East.

The airline had been due to include the show British Airways has apologised for postponing the inclusion of a Jewish-themed British sitcom from its in-flight entertainment due to the conflict in the Middle East.

The airline had been due to include the show Hapless on its in-flight menu this month, which is based around the lives of Jewish characters in London, only to announce it had been sidelined to “remain neutral” during the ongoing war.

Responding to mounting concerns over its decision, a British Airways spokesperson told Jewish News: “We understand that the decision to review the content has caused upset and hurt to the Jewish community, and we’re sorry – that was never our intention.
    The series will appear on our aircraft early next year.”

The series will appear on our aircraft early next year.”

justloveflying
    Participant

In a war that has already cost thousands of lives and no doubt a lot more to come, a Jewish comedy is most insensitive and inappropriate.

BA is trying to be all things to all people ( think gender-fluid uniform policy ) and is ignorant of the things that actually need attention ( poor customer service, poor airport and onboard experuience etc ). Personally, it looks like BA have purposely thrown in a red herring to create a smokescreen of how bad things are at the Airline. Also, the Middle East market must be generating very low revenue for BA, if by showing this comedy on the IFE, the feelings of the mainly Muslim passengers is being overlooked.

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity. I don’t imagine that BA passengers to/from the Middle East will be tuning in to watch it. Tasteless is the word that comes ot mind. I will count how long it takes for my message to be deleted.

LaWhore
    Participant

Time to remove all muslim content too given what had happened on the 7th of October?

2 users thanked author for this post.

superchris
    Participant

only theyre not removing content, theyre delaying publishing it. A subtle but significant difference here.

stevescoots
    Participant

Justloveflying, why would a comedy, set it in the UK surrounding a Jewish family be insensitive or inappropriate? set in Israel i could see a tenuous connection but setting and made in UK?. i see no connection anymore than i would a Muslim related comedy set in UK such as Citizen khan or count Abdulla

6 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

With every respect it is not a ‘Jewish Comedy ‘ justloveflying’

It is a mainstream British made comedy that has a storyline that features a mainly British Jewish cast
    I posted because I was pleased that someone at BA took the broader view.

In my view nothing will be gained by censoring British TV content or the normal airline content as a knee-jerk reaction to an episode that we all wish had never happened. Let’s not make things worse than they are already.

I wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas wherever and whoever you are – travel safe everyone.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

It’s sad to see the anti-semitic sentiments expressed by JustLoveFlying just now on this thread.

I would have reported it as inappropriate content but a report button is not showing on my screen. Is this because someone else has already reported it?

It might be worth BT posting their policy on what they do with racist content on this thread.

cwoodward
    Participant

With every respect Bath VIP (great handle) I suspect that it is better that BT lets this thread run it course.

justloveflying
    Participant

I am very sad to see that some individuals believe I ma being racist etc. I am merely giving my opinion on an issue that BA have caused and mentioned in the media. If people are so sensitive about certain issue sthen why are they on a public forum where people from around the world give their opinions ? Again, I must stress I am not racist. I am however sad to see that my post would ruffle any feathers. The BT Forum is known for being very inclusive to a certain type of traveller profile. And comments like the one I ma reading, only cement that view. I hope no one loses sleep over my opinion and once again I am not racist. To even suggest this is absurd and makes me wonder what other ill feelings people are harbouring. I urge yourselves to take your views on BA issues to BA instead of being keyboard warriors to a stranger.

justloveflying
    Participant

I must need a trip to Specsavers ( although I do not wear spectacles ) as BA are very clearly stating it is a Jewish comedy. And just for repeating that, I am racist. So BA are racist basically as they are the ones putting the story out ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@justloveflying

Linking the war in the middle east to a Jewish comedy based in London, being shown on international flights and then suggesting “the feelings of the mainly Muslim passengers is being overlooked” displays in my opinion a border line racist attitude.

justloveflying
    Participant

What an honour to have MartynSinclair pipe up on my comments ! I am of course being sarcastic. So let me get this straight. BA refuse to show a Jewish comedy for fear of causing offence to Muslim passengers, they then chicken out and decide to show it anyway, I ( a middle class male married to a Pakistani who employs 500 staff in the North and South of the UK with 20 Jewish employees) is racist ? I genuiely believe that someone from BA should come on here and comment or that this thread, created by BT, should be closed down. What nonsense from supposedly adult males. I would be scared to be on a flight with any of those who are so sensitive and uninformed.

justloveflying
    Participant

I have had to show my comment to my Jewish colleagues. So far, 5 of the 15 Jewish colleagues I employ have simply laughed at this thread from start to finish. And of course, as for me being racist, one gentleman actually cried with laughter. It is amazing how people pass opinions when they do not even know someone. Again, I am merely commenting on BA’s stance about the comedy. I will say no more. Wouldn’t want to be seen as racist.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Before I even opened this thread I had an idea of the type of comments that I would read.

It is such an emotive subject with a segment of the population that will be at the far opposite end of the spectrum.

Speaking for myself, neither jewish nor muslim, and it tends to be the same for most of the people in my circle, the whole situation is just very sad and I can have great empathy for both sides which have suffered awful violence.

I also have Jewish friends that are very against the tactics of war fare that the Israeli government are taking as well as Muslim friends that are vocally appalled at the actions of Hamas.

But this is the reality of the world we live in today and I cannot comprehend why an airline would ban/delay showing a comedy about a british jewish family.

We all have our biases, often unconscious. Some people may not like to watch shows that revolve around a certain race, nationality, gender, sexuality. I can never understand when people complain about ‘explicit’ programs on TV etc. Good lord we are way past the days where we had four TV channels….or on a plane where that ONE film would be showed on the pull down projector screen! If something does not appeal because of x, y or z then use your freedom to NOT watch it.

justloveflying
    Participant

I had promised myself I would not say anything else. But rferguson2 with his/her polite,kind and may I say well thought out response, meant I just had to reply. Thanks for pointing out the reality of the Palestine issue. I guess BA wanted to play it safe and now won’t. Indeed it is a choice what you do/don’t watch on a flight or anywhere for that matter. Thanks for restoring my faith in the forum. I had honestly believed it was an old boys club, but I ma glad there are decent people here too who aren’t out to attack or ostracise. I hope you have a lovely Crimbo Rferguson2 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘BA apologises for delaying in-flight showing of Hapless sitcom’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls