BA and Virgin Atlantic suspend London-Tel Aviv

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news

Both BA and Virgin Atlantic have suspended their Tel Aviv flights.

In fact earlier today BA 165 was not far from Tel Aviv when it then turned around and headed back to London.

Both are network or sixth-freedom carriers so many will be without services not just to London but destinations further afield.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-flight-heathrow-tel-aviv-b2428009.html

norbert2008
    Participant

How did it have enough fuel to do this? Or did they over fill just in case?

SAS
    Participant

This is one country everyone with a heart and a brain should be avoiding like the plague. Nobody should holiday there, full stop, end of story.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

SAS wrote: “This is one country everyone with a heart and a brain should be avoiding like the plague. Nobody should holiday there, full stop, period, end of story”.

Same message as on another thread. I asked why?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@SAS, what an odd and unsupported comment. Would love to hear commercial reasons why not to travel to the “one country” you refer – (accepted that right now is not the time to visit)…

Re BA 165 and its decision not to land in TLV, from a friend on board – the aircraft descended and circled for 20 minutes prior to landing then made the decision to return to London. Passengers were told there was a fresh flight deck crew on board and also confirmed 50 bags had been left behind at Heathrow to allow for the extra fuel needed.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Interesting to re that the AU government is running at least 3 rescue flights for their nationals using I understand contracted 787’s out of Tel Aviv back to London (with the first today) and onward to AU on commercial airlines.
    It seems that there are more than 10,000 AU nationals in Israel

What is the UK doing to get UK nationals back home ?

Ekond222
    Participant

UK Government announced flights on the morning of Oct 12th – with the 1st one leaving later the same day.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-to-arrange-flights-to-get-british-nationals-out-of-israel

Bullfrog
    Participant

SAS wrote: “This is one country everyone with a heart and a brain should be avoiding like the plague. Nobody should holiday there, full stop, period, end of story”.

Unsubstantiated comments like the above do no one any favours.

I think it is fair to say that both the people of Gaza & the Israelis need to be rid of Hamas. The apocalyptic scenes in Israel have been met with jubilation around the world, which is sickening but not surprising. Most peoples’ prejudices are based on their ignorance, which is why George Deer, an Arab politician’s speech from 2009 is as valid today, as it was 14 years ago.

I would urge you to watch and share, and perhaps the world can learn.

4 users thanked author for this post.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

SAS – You say “This is one country everyone with a heart and a brain should be avoiding like the plague. Nobody should holiday there, full stop, end of story.”

I would love to know more about why you think that, as you make a blanket statement without any reasons to back it up. I have both a heart and a brain and have visited the “one country” on many occasions, I cannot help but wonder if you have been there so you are commenting from direct experience.

It would be great if you would respond as I am genuinely interested to know why you decided to post what you did.

Safe travels everyone!!

3 users thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Also a very good video.

Swissdiver
    Participant

At this stage, I guess most of the European airlines stopped flying to TLV. Actually, LX (Swiss) also suspended BEY. And I am afraid this will last, as the crisis is far to be over, sadly.

cwoodward
    Participant

I do not believe that the political post above by ‘SAS’ belongs on this forum.
    In the many years that I have posted here I do not ever recall previously reporting a post re its content

It in my opinion has nothing whatever to do with business travel and is in my belief intensely political.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

A reminder to all that this is a business travel forum – we would ask that all posters stick to travel-related posts, and avoid those of a political nature. Thank you.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I think it’s been removed and rightly so. This is forum for business travel, not a political soapbox.

ASK1945
    Participant

As others have written regarding BA, indeed other airlines also, their policies can be really perverse. Indeed, what’s happening in Australia relating to Qantas permitting travellers to book for flights which Quantas knew were not going to happen has landed in the airline court there [a different thread].

I have been booked – since before October 7th – outwards to TLV (and return later) on BA in Premium Economy, in 13 days’ time. I have been waiting patiently for BA to cancel the flights but they are only cancelling 7 days ahead of flights, and still accept bookings for my departure date.

Going online, I can cancel with penalty – only receiving back the taxes and airport fees, about a third of what I paid.

I phoned on the Bronze member line (and got through quickly). I explained the UK government advice that travel to the region should not take place and if I travel there my travel insurance would be invalid. I asked if I could move my flights to a different destination without penalty. I said that I would be happy to accept a voucher to use for this, if this would help. This was declined.

I then pointed out that there is now less than two weeks before the first flight and any cancelletion by them subsequent to my call will lead to them having to make a full cash refund for my tickets, and reimburse me for any additional expenses, such as uncancellable hotels etc, under EU/UK 261 regulations. She confirmed that this is the case and advised me that BA would make such payments 😒

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls