BA A380 short haul flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

Hktbound
    Participant

Further to a previous posting, I’m also interested in booking onto one of the inevitable ‘training’ flights on a short hop while pilots and crew use the A380 before the scheduled long haul schedules, rumoured to be Madrid.
    As HKG bookings are now online I emailed BA to ask about short haul plans (I want to fly business or first using Avios just for the experience).
    The first reply ignored my question and came back to say that I should book a flight to HKG. I replied asking them to read my question, and received a further reply that I should call the executive club.
    I think I’ll get a more definitive answer from the experts here!
    Any advice?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nothing has been announced.

No point in calling up just yet.

AF used Paris-London as a proving route.

I’d expect MAD or AMS to be the BA A380 routes used for training; AMS is a bit too short a journey, MAD has prestige because of the Iberia connection. One Purser I spoke to on yesterday’s flight mentioned trips to Manston or Prestwick without passengers….

These may or may not carry passengers, but they’d be nuts not to publicise them.

Of course even then, technical or other issues will not guarantee the A380 will be used.

So I’d suggest patience; I’m certain the minute any plan is announced there will be plenty of info here and on other sites. At present there is none, and indeed the actual date-in-service is yet to be finalised, being subject to external licensing beyond BA’s control; better to announce certainty last minute than raise expectations early and have to re-book people.

As others have stated, many would be disappointed if they booked shorthaul tickets expecting/hoping for the A380 and then further manufacturer or certification delays (remember this is a “new” MTOW version of the A380) meant it was not available.

So best to wait until there is more certainty, and BA’s reticence on this is commendable.

http://www.britishairways.com/en/information/flight-information/airbus-a380

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

It’s not often you see Iberia and prestige in the same sentence.

Rather like Ribbentrop and Henkel.

How about we all see if we can get the same flight? That would be a hoot!

imagine BT special? I would definitely do it.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Will parachutes be provided?

We could barricade ourselves into F using the bedding and use the discarded BA BAgs as missiles while the proletariat tried to gain access….!

Could we shake up champagne bottles and fire the corks at them?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I doubt the plane will get off the ground due to a security incident where every members view would cause offence to each other…lol :o)

JohnSaunders
    Participant

As a rare poster on here I’d just like to say how much VKs air of superiority gets my back up. You’re just another human being like the rest of us yet you seem to feel you have some god given right to look down your nose at the masses. Wind your neck in.

On a post-related note, whilst Manston may have a runway suitable for the A380, I doubt the effectiveness of a 15 minute flight down there. Even if the thing just flies down to Biscay or similar to extend the flight it would make more sense to just return to LHR imho. Prestwick is, I suppose, a possibility as the maintenance base of BAs shorthaul airbus fleet. But best to watch this space.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Iberia and prestige is indeed an oxymoron.
    Can you imagine loading a 380 just to fly for a couple of hours. Surely it would be better utilised on a slightly longer route.
    A BT special would be great, where shall we go ?
    We could offer our service’s to BA I am sure they would find our feed back invaluable.

Good evening HongKongLady

My vote goes to Lisbon, but I’m not sure the airport would cope with such a beast xx

HongKongLady
    Participant

A good evening to you too Alexpo1
    I have only been to Lisbon once a number of years ago but I would definitely return, had a good weekend although by the time I left I could barely walk…… No not too much Sherry, it was the cobbles and hills that got me :-).

(:-)

I wish you well with your new challenges.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls