BA 777s from LHR TEN Across in Y!!!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Adey
    Participant

HNY

My wife has to go to LAX next week in Y.

I thought all BA 777s were kept as 9 across but to my horror both ways it’s ten across like a charter flight
    Next time Virgin or Delta to get the bookings.

Flyboy18
    Participant

It’s been like this for a number of years and in-line with the vast majority of other 777 airlines. Nothing new really.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Adey, BA has had this Y configuration for some years already.

Mark wrote a piece in March 2018.

As for VS if the flight is rostered for a 787, note that its 787s are configured 3-3-3 which is actually less roomy than a 10-across 777 because the fuselage is a little narrower.

And the same would apply to DL (which also operates the 787 and the A350) unless choosing the A330 which is 2-4-2.

British Airways to go ten-across on Heathrow B777s from 2019

MarkivJ
    Participant

Adey, I’ve flown BA on the LAX route and can confirm it’s been 10 in a row for a while now. And they fly their premium configured aircraft to LA!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Adey – I share your sentiments and being aghast it this development. It did happen a few years ago now but of course it took sometime for the refurb/”upgrade” to happen fleet wide.

Personally if flying economy long haul I avoid this seating plan and would target the still quite a few carriers that have 9 across on 777.

I avoid 787 whenever possible. The BA 788 Y seat is the single most uncomfortable seat I have ever been in on a plane – super tight with no shoulder room and on a separate note, stupid dimmable windows.

Going forward I seriously hope BA choose more A350 (both 900 and 1000) as it is a more competitive plane from a passenger point of view IMO.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I forgot to say that if I was going to LAX in Y I would chose DL/VS over BA – their seating is superior IMO – VS operate A350s and DL very new A330 neo – with as Alex said its very comfortable 2-4-2 seating.

It is worth mentioning not all carriers have gone 10 across in Y – I believe JAL, Korean, Asiana, Air China, Thai, Garuda, SQ, ET, TK and others still have 9 across in Y on 777.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As VS and DL operate more than one flight daily to LAX it’s essential to check the aircraft type as, in the case of DL, only one flight is rostered for the A330neo.

Note too that there may be aircraft adjustments when the summer schedules take effect.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

@ Sparkyflier – the theme with those still operating 9 across on their 777’s is they are generally not European or North American carriers. With Asian carriers, CX was a bit of an outlier having moved to 10 across a while ago (I believe).

As BA refresh their 777 fleet it certainly looks like they are going to 10 across, the LGW fleet has been this way since pre covid.
    I have a flight in a couple of months to JFK that is now 10 across (first time I’ve noticed that).

Have just finished a Y journey with AA and they have been 10 across for while and the shoulder room seemed very tight.

A good perk of OW elite (and maybe other alliances too) is you can at least select seats in the front row – on the AA 777 the leg room in row 17 was extensive and it appeared it was ok to slide your smaller bag under the premium econ seat in front, as the cabin divider finishes quite a way short of the floor.

Given the trend and additional revenue, things may only get tighter across the board.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MKiesinsky1337
    Participant

I agree with the 787 part sparky, the seats there are something unbearable

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls