BA 747 collision at JNB

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)

• YellowBelly
    Participant

Any update on British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLL damaged at JNB? Salvage or write off?

superchris
    Participant

JonnyEnglish +1

Also very interested to know the fate of this aircraft. If they are planning to repair this will cause me to seriously consider my choice of carrier going forward as dont want to run the risk of getting this aircraft.

Krug, your silence has been deafening on this subject – care to find out and revert to an interested group?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

superchris – 07/01/2014 08:55 GMT

He’s too busy promoting the unmissable Avios offer.

TominScotland
    Participant

And you, FormerlyDoS, still busy making fun of folks whose careers are on the line (your words were something like that, I think)?

Can I set you a challenge – try just one day without any reference to VK/ SM? I think you will be a happier person……..

SimonS1
    Participant

superchris – 07/01/2014 08:55 GMT
    “Also very interested to know the fate of this aircraft. If they are planning to repair this will cause me to seriously consider my choice of carrier going forward as dont want to run the risk of getting this aircraft.”

I can’t believe the aircraft would return to service unless 100% safe.

TominScotland – 07/01/2014 09:10 GMT
    “busy making fun of folks whose careers are on the line”

Are their careers on the line? Or is that just speculation.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“I can’t believe the aircraft would return to service unless 100% safe”

if the aircraft is passed safe and given a permit to fly by the authorities – I believe Boeing/CAA/S African regulators would all need to pass the aircraft fit to fly – it is 100% safe….

TominScotland
    Participant

To be honest, I don’t know. However, I made a (maybe bad) joke about the incident when it first happened and Mr Formerly castigated me for so doing, making reference to careers on the line. He then makes a similar (equally bad) joke about the incident and has not had the decency to hold his hands up about this….. A tad hypocritical, I would say

Stowage222
    Participant

I spoke with a BA Captain this week who was pretty evasive about how this could have happened in the first place. After taking the wrong taxiway were the crew distracted, why was no one looking out of the window? We’ll possibly hear the outcome of the enquiry – although not from BA I surmise!

Word in the company is that the Captain will not lose his job but I would have thought he’d be demoted for a while and then reinstated. Not sure what will happen to the other 2 FOs.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom

IIRC, you mentioned breathalysers.

If a pilot is tested positive, it is instant dismissal and usually prison time, that’s why I suggested that you removed that particular joke.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

SimonS1

My comment, that Tom references, was in a suggestion (not a castigation, that is hyperbole) to remove a joke including breathalysers, which would certainly be instant dismissal.

Until the crew were cleared of any suspicion of alcohol (which would have come out by now), I thought it wise not to mention it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom

“Can I set you a challenge – try just one day without any reference to VK/ SM? I think you will be a happier person……..”

Let me set you a challenge…..

Try just one day without any reference to my posts that may make reference to VK/ SM? I think you will be a happier person……..

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’ve been away for the last month hence trying to catch up.

Is there any finding on the cause of this incident yet? A colleague who came through JNB early in the month told me the building was not yet under repair.

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Also, does anyone know if it’s a write-off?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I believe it’s still at JNB awaiting the outcome of what to do with her. It’s likely a discussion between BA, the aircraft owner, the airport and the insurers.

As to the investigation, it’s ongoing (ie. finger pointing) but not a high priority as no loss of life and not due to potential failure of some part of the plane. They know what happened, it hit a building while taxiing (or did the building jump into the path of the plane 😉 so let’s blame the building) so whoever is at fault will pay – or their insurers will!

Stowage222
    Participant

Last I heard from a BA crew member was they’re going to fit it with a new wing! Watch this space.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls