BA 27 to HKG now 777

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

VK has made quite clear several time that VK is not a “BA rep”.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I agree 100% with all of Bullfrog’s comments.

I have just changed my flight HKG-LHR in December from BA 26 to BA 28, to ensure I stay on a 747. Was most unhappy to see my original flight had been changed to a 777 – and with no notification from BA! Fortunately, the posts here alerted me to the change of aircraft and so I changed to the other flight.

Agree that BA needs to order the 747-8. As does QF.

Surreyson
    Participant

@openfly
    Because the BA057 sits on the ground all day in JNB on arrival. ‘nightstopping’ this at LHR causes a 3hr-ish delay for the rtn. This compares favourably to delaying other departures from LHR. For example, the 199 BOM has minimum turnaround time in BOM to come back as the 198.

openfly
    Participant

Surreyson…thanks for that.

But I still say, why do they keep hitting the LHR-JNB with such frequent lengthy delays? Spread them around a bit! It might catch up by using the groundtime at JNB, for the return, but even a three hour delay is very inconvenient especially when you have a connection at LHR.

BA has competition in the shape of the LH and AF A380s rather than semi-derelict 747s. For LHR connectors like myself they are very attractive especially with their lower fares for F and J.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

openfly

If Surreyson has his finger on the pulse, then the slack between the JNB flights is being used as to help manage an ageing fleet that requires some tlc, as the planned (unproductive) ground time in JNB is a useful buffer.

This is quite rational from an airline ops perspective, as the knock on effects to the fleet are negligible. That’s why they don’t spread the delays around (If Surreyson is right.)

However, from a pax perspective, if schedule is the driver, the only rational course of action is to change to an airline with a better punctuality record on that route.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls