BA 27 to HKG now 777

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

Disappointed that this flight will be operated by a 777 from 30th October, the 747 has plied the skies on this route for many many many years.

LHRtraveller
    Participant

You are right there, however it will be operated by the new B777-300ER with new first, new WTP and new World traveller product and new IFE in all class. This is a good improvement over the actual product.

Travellator
    Participant

Many thanks, obviously the CW product is unchanged except it will be a fairly new fit out.

BABenji
    Participant

The seat in CW remains the same but the IFE is greatly improved. A bigger screen (and sharper picture in my opinion) and much better interface. A nice tweak to an already pretty good product.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You also get Steam Ovens, rather than the convection horrors cabin crew work with in the rest of the fleet.

Putting the new 777-300ERs on this route is am significant improvement, although of course no Upper Deck Club World 🙁

Binman62
    Participant

Reducing service from 747 to 777 possibly no surprise given that there are 5 one world departures alone from LHR in 4 hour period. Sadly capacity reduction may also result in increase in fares and that is not such good news.
    Some greater co ordination of services and schedules would perhaps be more useful

Potakas
    Participant

Spotted well Binman,

London Heathrow – Hong Kong BA027/028 Boeing 777-300ER (F14J56W44Y183) replaces 747-400 (F14J52W36Y235).

With the aircraft swap, there is a loss of 280 seats per week per direction.

But still, I prefer to have the NWT+,NWT on longer routes.

JordanD
    Participant

@Travellator – Whilst the product quality is (IMHO) far better on the 77W than on the 744, don’t forget there is the other BA daily flight to HKG you can go on if you so prefer.

@Binman – the problem with “greater coordination of services and schedules” is two fold: one, passengers clearly want to fly overnight from HKG to LHR, as that is when the majority of the flights are – shown by the reported lower load of the daytime QF flight from HKG to LHR; secondly, I don’t believe BA & CX have anti-trust immunity to allow them to collude in a way such as you discuss.

Hippocampus
    Participant

BA and CX do not have anti trust immunity on the LHR HKG route and are unlikely do so. They are competitors on this route and CX has increased flights back up to 4 daily flights.

There are reports that another 747 is coming back from storage and with more 777 deliveries this points to a modest long haul expansion which could well include the third daily HKG flight being restored.

Ellwood
    Participant

Do not panic!
    BA 27 is scheduled to revert to a 744 from 25th March 2012.

Travellator
    Participant

JordanD

I booked BA 27 because at the time BA25 was hugely more expensive.

I contacted BA Customer Services to see if I could change but came up against the usual BA wall of inflexibility.

Most disappointing bit is we had our favourite row 60 seats booked !

mgwch88
    Participant

Is the 777-300ER change confirmed. Keen to book WTP on this route for my Christmas break.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’ll start my posting by stating that I am a great fan of BA. It is my airline of choice if CX don’t operate the route I am flying.

One is always reassured of great aircraft maintenance & a professional competent flight crew. I think we can agree from our postings on BT that whilst BA’s seat comfort, service & food is acceptable to good, many other carriers rate better.

The UAE may be a ‘nipping point’ for Europe, Asia, Africa & Australasia which explains the reason EK, QR, EY etc have great growth potential. (There was an article in the Economist a few months ago).

I am such a fan of the 747 on long haul. It kind of makes a statement, as does the A 380. The forward cabin ensures a more peaceful First Class cabin with less foot flow, especially in row 2.

The use of 777s on routes to Sydney & Hong Kong just seems to be a retrograde step. I’m not conversant with the costings within the airline business. Profitability is more important than turnover, but constant downsizing just reduces potential & allows the competitors to gain the lead.

I personally prefer a 4 engine aircraft, and wish the 747-8 would be acquired by BA.

openfly
    Participant

That is good for the HKG route.

It is a shame that BA does not throw enthusiasm at the JNB service.

Yet another LHR nightstop last week due technical problems on the 747. According to the JNB ground staff there were 4 12 hour delays in June…totally unacceptable. How can I plan business meetings when I am let down so frequently.

Perhaps the BA rep VK can sort the problem or at least. give an explanation as to why the overnight delay is always put onto the JNB. The overnight delay out of LHR also puts about a 3 hour delay onto the following JNB-LHR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls