Avios unveils new loyalty partnership with Nectar

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Executive Club members will be able to convert Avios into Nectar points and vice versa, and the partnership kicks off with a 500 bonus Avios offer.

Avios unveils new loyalty partnership with Nectar

JDTraveller
    Participant

I know that this is not going to appeal to everyone, with the “why not Waitrose” or “Sainsburys is not upmarket enough”, but think that the earn/burn potential in the partnership here is quite exciting – opens up Eurostar to being an Avios redemption partner once again (hopefully). I have not used a single Nectar point since BA was removed as a Sainsburys partner all those years ago – and feeling a bug smug about my cache of points right now.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1089705]“why not Waitrose” or “Sainsburys is not upmarket enough”,[/quote]

A former supermarket featured was Tesco.

JDTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1089706]

I refer you to the thread on who should have got the BOB contract after M&S. Will Sainsbury’s be aspirational enough for people?

ASK1945
    Participant

Previously (until last year) I collected Avios with my Tesco Mastercard and my Tesco deliveries. They weren’t very many (a small fraction of the equivalent expenditure using Amex), but now of course ceased.

I have collected Nectar from a number of sources and now have a bank of just over 20,000. Using them to buy shop vouchers makes these worth about £100. However, transferring them to Avios (400 Nectar provides 250 Avios points) provides 12,500 Avios. To buy these would cost about £190 (or about £125 in an Avios sale). So, they are a better value in Avios if you are a One-World customer.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Great that after a long gap the Nectar system has some use for travel… sadly spending at Sainsbury and collecting nectar points that you transfer into Avios is vastly poorer than the previous deal with Tesco…
    viz: 400 nectar = 250 Avios rather than 400 Tesco = 880 avios…..the return for £400 spend in both cases

CAI
    Participant

Indeed, the redemption from Tesco Clubcard points was vastly superior compared to Nectar points so this is a big downgrade/worse deal

Mathias_K
    Participant

Must admit I wasn’t aware of the previous Tesco deal (and not a Tesco customer, as no actual store nearby, so not an issue), but am happy to see that I can exchange vice versa, so get Nectar points for my Avios. (Was that an option before?)
    With the current lockdown, I don’t know when/if I’ll be able to use my Avios. Also considering that BAEC might downgrade me this year, I might look at other airlines (e.g. LH, Swiss), in case they become more competitive in the future.
    Therefore, this would be an option to “cash in” the Avios instead of losing them (though probably not the best value) and collect points/miles (as well as gain frequent-flier status) with Miles&More instead of OneWorld.
    Are there other ways I can make use of existing Avios (especially during lockdown) that I’m unaware of?

Robert Stevenson
    Participant

You can transfer your Avios to Nectar at the rate of 1 to 1.6. A Nectar point is normally valued at 0.50p, so Avios transferred has a vale of 0.80p. Spend in Sainsburys, Argos or Ebay.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1091909]Are there other ways I can make use of existing Avios (especially during lockdown) that I’m unaware of?[/quote]

You can use Avios for hotel stays, car hire, eperiences, stores wine etc etc.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/

brown1950
    Participant

Don’t forget that Sainsbury purchased Nectar hence the change from Tesco !

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Surely this is wrong…. You get (at minimum) a nectar point per pound spent in Sainsbury…. IF, as Robert says, the points were valued at 50 pence that is a 50% rebate on purchases…

JollyFlyer
    Participant

1 nectar point has 0.5p or £0.005 value.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Now that BA EC members are having their accounts hacked to steal Avios for conversion to Nectar points (= cash) does anyone know if BA is doing something about it?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Apologies to Robert Stevenson and Jolly flyer…. my brain was clearly out of gear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls