Avios compensation for old BA First

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

On a night flight, without any doubt, I would accept 50,000 avios for old first.

The food is the same, the IFE on both is poor, with the lights dimmed, you don’t see how grubby the cabin actually is – OK NF you have a different knob to play with to put the seat down….

but bottom line is, with the seat turned into a bed, you wont sleep any better or any worse in either………

Both BA versions of First are poor…….. when compared to the market in general..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

Agreed, but there have been a number of anecdotal reports of seats ‘freezing’, in one case requiring the use of a crowbar 🙂

So no nice sleep, how would you feel about that?

tangey1
    Participant

But isn’t that a different issue ? One assumes dead seats happen in NF too and biz for that matter.

Up until whatever date in November, if you booked 1st on routes operating OF and NF, what you got was what you got. At least now it appears you get a decent refund for OF, which in redemption terms is a free CW sector.

One assumes compensation is then paid should a seat malfunction, which can happen in any premium seat.

FLYINGRISO
    Participant

THINK that should read March 30 … I only know because I am on that flight on the 29th!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“One assumes compensation is then paid should a seat malfunction, which can happen in any premium seat.”

Compensation is no use whatsoever to a business traveller who needs to sleep.

We can argue about seat failures until the cows come home, it just seems to me that I hear far more about broken OF seats than NF or CW. And yeah, I do know about selection bias.

ChrisWillett
    Participant

Hi
    Does any one out there know if this Avios compo for flying old first still applies ??
    My wife are flying to and from Vancouver this June 2014 and have been told by BA it is OF both ways.I asked about the compensation and was told they have no knowledge of this, shame as the new BBC2 documentary on BA is showing how they inspect for every little mark in the NF cabins on the A380, we flew OF about 6 years ago and it was worn out then.
    Can any one advise out there.
    Thanks

openfly
    Participant

Hi…..it’s a bit early for anybody to confirm old first. The aircraft allocation is not usually done and confirmed until about 72 hours prior to departure, and can even change on the day. It frequently does!

The old First compensation is still happening, but, rumour has it that BA has reduced it from 50,000 to 30,000 Avios. On such a short flight as YVR it makes sense to hope for old First!! The compensation is usually done by the CSD.

Good luck

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Don’t count on any compensation as it’s unlikely you’ll get it unless perhaps you’re a high revenue, Gold card carrying passenger which “might” then get you a few Avios as a goodwill gesture.

If you want to be sure of a wonderful F experience then fly Lufthansa whose First class on the 747 blows BA out of the water. A proper, separate bed, large bathroom, and just 8 people upstairs in the cabin. Make sure there’s at least a 2 hour stopover so you can enjoy the lounge with transfer by car direct to the plane and avoiding all queues to board. Unparalleled!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just seen your post Openfly. My experience of this comes from a friend and two of his colleagues who travelled BA F recently. They got OF and my friend and one colleague received nothing, but the other one, Gold card and CEO of a large company spending big bucks with BA got compensated with Avios.

Perhaps it’s the luck of the draw as to which CSD is on board. Maybe some of our BA crew posters can comment?

openfly
    Participant

Hi LP,

Through inside info!……all CSDs have the power to instigate the compensation and even up it to the original 50,000. What they say goes because they tell the passenger in person what compo they are going to receive. It could be that the Mixed Fleet CSMs are not up to speed with the procedures and that is why your mate didn’t get the Avios. I suggest you tell him to protest to the Exec Club. Normally they are very accommodating.

Totally agree about LH and the quality of their F. Other EU airlines have much to learn. But, I have just completed 6 sectors on Qatar Dreamliners in Business Class….quite stunning! 1-2-1 seating, enormous seats, brilliant in all areas. If BAs F was half as good as QRs J………..!

ChrisWillett
    Participant

Thanks
    It was a member of BA. Staff on the dedicated Gold line that informed me of OF both ways it appears that 52 Bus Class 744s are the ones with OF.
    Not really that bothered about the Avios , flying to JNB in October on the 388 in club, if I complained about OF do you think they would up grade me to first as compensation in lieu of Avios ??
    Will it be worth a try ??
    Thanks for your info
    Regards
    Chris

ChrisWillett
    Participant

Thanks
    It was a member of BA. Staff on the dedicated Gold line that informed me of OF both ways it appears that 52 Bus Class 744s are the ones with OF.
    Not really that bothered about the Avios , flying to JNB in October on the 388 in club, if I complained about OF do you think they would up grade me to first as compensation in lieu of Avios ??
    Will it be worth a try ??
    Thanks for your info
    Regards
    Chris

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

Chris, I concur with openfly, it is too early to be certain that you will get OF this month. Of 47 747’s still active 22 are fitted with 52 CW and of these just 8 are OF. Of those slated according to Jethro for withdrawal 3 are this year, 3 more are scheduled in 2015, and there was a strong suggestion that the NF removed from some of the old birds that have the 70CW/NF combination would have the NF refitted to the OF remainders. Not a help to you on travel this month but a reminder that the odds are getting better month by month of getting NF.
    But from a revenue point of view, and let’s be honest BA are the masters of this art, they will not want to give you an upgrade now for late this year if it can be sold before you travel. Your best hope would be an upgrade at check in or the gate. Safe travels and hope for NF on your Canadian trip.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ChrisWillett – what exactly are you wishing or planning to complain about BEFORE you fly? I agree it is very disappointing to have an old product when a new one is available, but in truth neither OF or NF are outstanding in any way shape of form. They are both comfortable… in their own ways….

Flyboy18
    Participant

I can confirm the amounts are either 50,000 AVIOS points or a £250 evoucher to use on a future flight. The CSL in first will come round with a card for the passenger to fill out and hand back and then an email will be sent to the passenger to confirm the compensation. There has been no change in the compensation. There are only about 5-7 mid-J 747 left with the old first class.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls