Avios compensation for old BA First

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

Intheair
    Blocked

I returned from Canada in BA First today.

The 747 was Old First.

I was presented with a pre-printed ” apology card” from BA by the Cabin Crew for the fact New First was not available.

I was given the choice of either 50,000 Avios points or a £250 e-tickervoucher. Had to fill in the voucher with my choice and give to the crew before the end of the flight.

This will presumably now be routine on all Old BA First flights.

I think this is a good move by BA in this period where the old kit is being used.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

If you were happy with the offer, great.

On the other hand, if they acknowledge that OF is not as good as NF, but choose to give only about 10% of a one way fare, it doesn’t look so good – is OF 90% as good as NF?

50k avios sounds good, until you look at availability.

Complete farce, IMHO, as NF was launched with a flight to Chicago in Feb 2010, yes that’s 3 years and 22 months ago.

Intheair
    Blocked

Yes I was happy with it.

I think that when companies do something they do not need to, it should be appreciated. Clapped out Emirates 777 from Gatwick are more in need of upgrade and I don’t recall any apologies from them.

I have booked 6 long haul flights in First for the forthcoming year with Avios – yes you need to be flexible but they do work. Leisure yes, business if booked along way ahead and £600 for a First Class seat on a business trip looks good on my balance sheet at the end of the year.

If I have to go somewhere on a set date I pay for it and am happy to,do so, and choose the airline which suits me best, which is not always BA. If I pay to go to Australia or Asia I tend to use Singapore or Emirates as they are better than BA in my view, and when I am paying my view is what counts. To the US BA is the best in my view. The 50,000 Avios they gave to me today, which they didn’t need to, is one way Club to the West Coast.

BA’s approach works for me on this issue – take it or leave it would be worse. I don”t think I will be the only one thinking this, which is probably what BA think too.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Clapped out Emirates 777 from Gatwick are more in need of upgrade and I don’t recall any apologies from them.”

I agree, a disgrace (although they have never launched a single F acorss their fleet). I’m just looking at a business class return from LGW to DXB in Jan and EK will not be in the frame.

However, should one really be benchmarking against rubbish performance?

But I don’t agree that BA did something they didn’t need to, they should have NF across the fleet bu now and late deliveries are not an excuse, it’s an aleatory risk of being in that business and should have had a contingency plan, better than giving a small amount of compo.

If you are using Avios, I can see why you find this okay.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Should BA First really still be termed as “New First”?

Not quite sure whether that remains a true statement…..

And yes, I would take the 50,000 avios.. (if offered)..

esselle
    Participant

I have no use for 50k Avios, as I already have far more than I know what to do with.

Giving them out is a bit of a guilty admission that they are providing sub-standard product.

Improving the mediocre LPGS and giving a couple of bottles as a “sop” would, for me, be a much more valuable gesture. Especially as, when booking with Avios, you have to then pay tax, fuel surcharge etc on top.

SimonS1
    Participant

I thought someone told me the oldest 777-300ER used by Emirates was manufactured 2005? Clapped out?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

SimonS1

I think he means the 777-300 (non ER), which are 10-13 years old and still have recliners in J.

Got landed with one last year and it was awful.

first_class_please
    Participant

That`s a good deal, particularly for the avios, if one considers from previous postings, that most passengers in F are either already paying with Avios or are on company business.

With East Coast US / Middle East needign 40k busines and 60k first for one way, its almost a replacement free flight being offered.

Re the Emirates note from Gatwick, March 20 will see the A380 on EK 9/10.

openfly
    Participant

BA have been giving this compensation since the 25th Nov. If you express disappointment to the crew that you have old First then the CSD will arrange the compensation. I was offered it in early Dec and took the Avios. I assume that they would honour retro claims.

I think it is good that BA recognise that they are letting First passengers down….it doesn’t happen very often! As suggested earlier, it would be good if other airlines were to follow this example.

tangey1
    Participant

OP says returned from canada, implication being this compensation was for the single journey, not return.

Interesting to know what, if any, compensation they give out if the fare was initially booked using Avios.

Assuming it’s the same, then it would mean that OF is effectively a 25K redemption instead of 75K in NF.

So is NF worth x3 the Avios of OF ?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“So is NF worth x3 the Avios of OF ?”

A better question is, would you spend 25K avios to move from 64K (or similar) to OF?

I wouldn’t.

tangey1
    Participant

Well, first, its not a better question, its a totally different one. I’m comparing NF v compensated OF. You’re comparing biz with OF.

Secondly, your comparison appears to be incorrect.

OF to say YVR looks like it now costs 25K after compensation.
    64K costs 50K

Your question should have been ” would you spend 25K to move from OF to 64K”

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

tangey1

Poorly phrased question, let me re-try.

If you had the option of paying 25K avios to secure a 64K upgrade, or 50K avios to secure an F upgrade, on a route where there was a high % of OF, would you?

Yes, you get 50K avios back, but you still have a potentially poor flight if the OF is not well maintained, e.g. the seat fails and you end up having to sit upright across the pond..

I wouldn’t, as I would be looking to sleep, YMMV.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls