Asky Airlines

Back to Forum

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DavidSmith2 31 Jan 2019
at 13:32

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

Afternoon all,

I am due to experience the West African regional airline, ASKY, this weekend.

Travelling from Accra to Banjul (with a short stopover in Monrovia) in business class.

Any members have any experience of ASKY and what to expect? Online reviews are mixed but more negative than positive, but some are probably a bit outdated now.

Grateful for any advice.

capetonianm
    Participant

When I used to fly in that part of the world I used to reckon that if I arrived alive, uninjured and without the contents of someone’s stomach over me that was the best to hope for.

My golden rule was always to take non-stop rather than direct or connecting flights since most incidents occur in the landing and takeoff phases, and the transits are generally hellish too. That said, I don’t think there any nonstops ACC BJL.

I have a friend who still flies a fair amount in that region and he says ASKY is one of the better ones. The average age of their 737s is 14 years, they are leased from ET and presumably maintained by them, and they have had 0 fatal events despite one a/c written off.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just to complete the thread…

I flew Asky Accra-Monrovia-Banjul last week, returning Banjul-Freetown-Accra.

Total journey time is a little over 4 hours, with a 40 minute touchdown in either Monrovia or Freetown, depending on the day of the week.

The plane is a Boeing 737.

Business class was like a journey back in time, probably to the mid-1990s. The seats are the big, wide leather ones with a decent recline and footrest. They even still had ashtrays in the arm. Very comfortable. The food was plastic and pretty tasteless with everything cellophane-wrapped. The wine was undrinkable and the orange juice was a sugary nectar. There was no IFE.

But check in and boarding went fine, the flights were more or less on time, the cabin crew were decent and the pilot announcements were short but relevant.

So no real complaints and will certainly use them again – not that I will have much option anyway in this part of the world.

Next week I am flying Kenyan Airways business class but just the last leg of the Nairobi-Accra-Monrovia flight. We will see how that compares!

Cheers.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BUSINESS-TRAVELLER-FEB-COVER
BUSINESS-TRAVELLER-FEB-COVER
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls