Asky Airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• SenatorGold
    Participant

[quote quote=924306] @senatorgold,

I cannot yet vouch for their domestic service but I hope my review will not raise expectations unreasonably. My wife is due to take a domestic flight next month so I may be able to update my review on that basis – plus I am doing another AWA flight in April from Freetown to Accra so we will see if the levels are maintained.

And of course you (and any other BT members) are welcome to a regional social event in July, over a glass or two, at Smoke n Barrels in Accra.[/quote]

I will eagerly await hearing more about AWA – thanks so much. A social event in Accra in July would be great. I expect to be in Ghana for about 11 days starting the end of the first week of July. However, I’ll be travelling around the country. What would be your hotel recommendation for Accra these days? I’ve stayed at the Labadi Beach many years ago when it was the best in town, but it may now be surpassed by others. I’ve also stayed at the Golden Tulip but am keen to avoid it.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

With pleasure. Is there a private message facility here so we don’t clog the messageboard with too much detail? Or are we ok to post email addresses in the forum? Obviously any other BT members in Accra in July are equally welcome to a social!

On the Accra hotel issue, I think Labadi Beach is still a good bet. The Movenpick and Kempinski in the centre are the preferred choice for most but I find them both pretty sterile and you are pretty much a captive audience when you are there. Labadi Beach is still the best of the seafront places, as far as I am aware.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=924402]With pleasure. Is there a private message facility here so we don’t clog the messageboard with too much detail? Or are we ok to post email addresses in the forum? Obviously any other BT members in Accra in July are equally welcome to a social!

On the Accra hotel issue, I think Labadi Beach is still a good bet. The Movenpick and Kempinski in the centre are the preferred choice for most but I find them both pretty sterile and you are pretty much a captive audience when you are there. Labadi Beach is still the best of the seafront places, as far as I am aware.[/quote]

No PM here. The way to go is to ask BT to make the connection via email.

1 user thanked author for this post.

prosborn
    Participant

About AWA: Their good health and expansion hopes have Chinese backing, and the hopes of Chinese manufacturers:
    https://www.agenceecofin.com/entreprises/2103-64849-ghana-africa-world-airlines-envisage-de-commander-deux-bireacteurs-aupres-de-l-avionneur-chinois-comac

From the newsletter of Ecofin news agency, in the telecom section, 25-03-2019.
    Two COMAC ARJ21 twinjets are being lined up.

– Paul

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Nest trip starts tomorrow – Accra to Freetown. Outward with Asky, returning with AWA so a good chance to make a direct comparison on what is a 2.5 hour flight each way. Looking forward to the ferry connection between the airport and downtown, then staying at the Radisson Blu – not exactly adventurous but that is where my employer prefers us to stay.

Will report back on the experience in due course.

Johnnyg
    Participant

DavidSmith2

The ferry isn’t all that bad considering, I went three times last year and found that the only occasional problem was waiting for the damn thing on the airport side of the estuary. The new ferry terminal at Aberdeen is now open and is a lot better than it was before redevelopment.

If you get fed up of the Radisson food I can recommend Lagoonda, a very short taxi ride away.

Incidentally the new government and Mayor are really clamping down on corruption, the chief clerk to the revenue based at the High Court was arrested this week for stealing a 60 million leone fine that was paid to the court.

Enjoy your stay, I loved it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I think that ‘not all that bad considering’, was a fair description. The ferry itself is fine, but the procedure from arrival at the airport to reaching the jetty was pretty chaotic. But I’ll be wiser the next time, for sure, now I know what I am supposed to do.

ASKY flight was fine though – business class is a wide seat and plenty of legroom. Average but acceptable food. No IFE but its only 2.5 hours. Arrival at the airport was pretty straightforward and one of the few countries in this region which does not require you to complete a landing/immigration card. Customs were also not checking everyone, so I was through in around 30 mins from landing in total.

Back to Accra Saturday so will be able to report on AWA single-class again and Freetown departures. Meanwhile my wife travelled AWA this week on a domestic flight from Accra to Tamale and her report was quite positive. 15 minute delay on departure but OT arrival and quite decent seat and snack.

Johnnyg
    Participant

I forgot to mention the scrum from the airport to the ferry, it IS chaos but it works, as long as you have your $40 Sea Coach money separately from a 10,000 tip you should be ok. First time we went I got ripped off for $20, expensive lesson to learn. The return journey from Aberdeen is better.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls