Article about the FAA plans to reduce the number of white males in aviation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Good grief. Logic should prevail, not a point of view.

Old white guys? New radical thinking?

A bit silly really.

Common sense prevails over “current thinking”. Surely.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Continue to bang on rather like cuckoo in a black birds nest if you must or better find a forum where your brand of wok is better received.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

The wok debate continues to heat up….

4 users thanked author for this post.

Jey
    Participant

I’m a part black female, and I, too, think those policies are bad. It’s not just old white men who don’t subscribe to woke ideology and the rather aggressive pushing of DEI policies. There are many of us minorities out there who feel the same way.

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The original poster has needed to also introduce a nasty brand of ageism into this thread to bolster the crackpot ‘wok’ thinking outlined

cwoodward
    Participant

The original poster has needed to also introduce a nasty brand of ‘ageism’ into this thread to bolster the crackpot ‘wok’ thinking outlined.

stevescoots
    Participant

DEI over meritocracy is insanity, but what do I know as a middle-aged white man with a “nuclear family”

I agree there is no place for exclusion based on sex, race, religious or political views etc in the workplace. Essentially the most skilled or person with ability gets the job or promotion in my companies. We too have come under pressure to increase our diversity by some large Corps (who I will not name). Considering over 80% of my entire headcount (approx 1800) is female, 70% of all management positions are female, 95% are of Asian origin. I have pushed back and asked how? I get no clear answers from these idiots on improving DEI rating other than maybe if I declared their “identified” gender which I flat out refuse. If I go asking women staff in China and Vietnam that question they will think I am crazy (or a pervert!) or increase racial diversity…in Asia…right…want me to fly in persons of colour from other countries?

these people do not live in a real world outside California lunacy or the wall street fund managers back-room ways to try and add yet another metric to measure a companies worth and gamble on it.

DEI has no place in anything safety critical environment where consumers have no choice. By all means non-essential companies such as InBev, Disney, Unilever etc can do what they like because we as consumers can choose not to pay for their product , but where we have no real choice it needs to stop.

5 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

Fav “Diversity in the senior ranks make for better leadership, so bring on the quotas I say”

Care to back that up with evidence?

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

As this thread now has nothing whatever to do do with Business Travel (if it ever did) perhaps it should now be closed.

stevescoots
    Participant

i think it is relevant, which carriers we use who are adding potential risk by putting quota’s above skill and experiance

Jey
    Participant

I agree with everything stevescoots said here, and should he wish to fly someone of colour in from abroad, I’m looking for a new job! I insist on an interview first, though. I do NOT want to be a diversity hire. I’m competent, confident, and an asset to any company because of my education, experience, and personality. The fact that I’m a part black woman is completely irrelevant. I take great offence to being painted as a victim and someone who cannot make it on my own merit just because of my sex and the colour of my skin. I rigorously oppose the many attempts from my current employer to get me to participate in development courses targeted at women or ethnic minorities. Fortunately my (gay) manager feels the same way and completely supports me in this.

It’s a popular but erroneous belief among certain people who subscribe to woke theories that those who oppose quotas and affirmative action are all white male Boomers. There are many, many people of colour, women, young people, gays and trans people who think it’s ridiculous and offensive. Just check social media. People are fighting back against this narrative, and hopefully the woke movement will soon be something we look back on and shake our heads at.

7 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Jey I applaud you and your common sense approach to what has become a very difficult situation.

Throughout my career as a frequent flyer, and indeed in daily life, I have seen a person first, and a colour/creed/ etc as a very distant (and irrelevant) second.

I have met some shockingly prejudiced peopled who have made me embarrassed to be white and middle class, and others who have made me feel a tiny bit humbled by the fact that that is exactly what I am.

If only the world could focus a bit more on what binds us, and a bit less on what drives us apart.

Jey
    Participant

esselle, very true. I have never given much thought to my skin colour until all this craziness started. Suddenly I was asked what race I “identify” as. I grew up in Scandinavia, which, at the time, was almost exclusively white, yet I’ve never felt my skin colour has been more visible and important to other people than I do nowadays in a very mixed and ethnically diverse UK. I’ve never really spared two thoughts to the colour of my skin, and now I’m confronted with it all the time. From well-meaning people, sure. I mean, woke people probably have no ill intentions per se, but it nevertheless makes me incredibly self-conscious, and that never happened before.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Jey that is fascinating and sad in equal measure.

I would characterise you as “you” and go from there. You and I may, or may not, get on, but in my book, that would have nothing to do with where we come from.

Jey
    Participant

esselle. That’s exactly how it should be and, at least for me and any minority person I’ve ever known, always has been. The woke movement is detrimental to the success and self-esteem of formerly marginalised groups. It’s doing more harm than good, causing division and resentment across the board, infantilising and patronising perfectly capable people. I will continue to speak out against it, even though I know I do so at the expense of my career advancement within my current company. Well, so be it. Someone has to.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls