Article about the FAA plans to reduce the number of white males in aviation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• LaWhore
    Participant

United States has gone down the insane route a long time ago. Sadly, the USA will end up like South Africa eventually.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I assume that Scott Kirby (white, male) will be resigning from his role shortly then….

fsav81
    Participant

Diversity in the senior ranks make for better leadership, so bring on the quotas I say!

transtraxman
    Participant

As an aid to “fsav81”, I say bring on the quotas ——– but firstly to the board room not the aircraft cabin.
    Never say that there are not the people to be employed as we know it is false. If you do not look you do not find.

esselle
    Participant

Quota based hiring strategies rarely work. Talent should always be the starting point. Qualified to excel in a role through experience and/or technical skill. Of course the aim has to be creating a diverse and balanced cohort, but if that becomes the primary goal then things are likely to turn out badly.

7 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

The reality is 71% of the US is white, 82% of the UK is white. I think having targets to reflect the actual ethnic make-up of the nations is appropriate. Unfortunately, I think many of these ideas go beyond targets, they become quotas, often to the detriment of some groups, which of course is reverse racism/sexism. These issues are incredibly difficult to discuss in today’s world. I can say from experience, that the bank I work for has been sanctioned for discriminatory hiring practices by regulators for excluding white males to meet diversity quotas, and internally we are now ‘encouraged to consider the wider implications of hiring decisions’.

7 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The whole idea is unworkable, unnecessary and potentially damaging.

This sort of nonsense has been discussed and discarded over the years and is nothing more than a needless distraction dug up once more by the wok brigade and presented as new thinking.

Thankfully they have begun to retreat (but not without much damage having been caused) realising one hopes that their immature skewed ideas are not original and have once again proved to be unworkable and damaging in the real world.

Thankfully most but not all) here in Asia have roundly rejected this wok distraction.

6 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Yup, typical wok brigade stirring things up…..

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

AndrewinHK,

I appreciate this is an anonymous forum so you may not be able to answer but is the regulator report on your bank’s practices in the public domain? If so, are you able to give any hints that would allow me to track it down?

I am professionally interested in discrimination law as it crosses over into my work as a statistician in the field of pay gap analysis and diversity statistics.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Discrimination against white males has already happened in the UK in the RAF of all places!

It took the resignation of a high ranking woman to bring this in the open.

Full report here –

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/chief-of-the-air-staff-statement-on-raf-recruiting-inquiry/

31 individuals affected were offered compensation.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

BackOfThePlane
    Yup, typical wok brigade stirring things up…..

Brilliant!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

fsav81
    Participant

lol, brilliant.
    Funny how it’s the older white males who seem to think such policies are so bad…wonder why.

cwoodward
    Participant

Frankly because they so obviously are…….so bad that is
    Perhaps you would have more luck peddling this nonsense on the American “Flyer Talk” forum where your brand of wok is better tolerated. .

2 users thanked author for this post.

fsav81
    Participant

A predictable retort: “we don’t like your different point of view so you should leave”. No Woody, I won’t leave just because the old white guys don’t agree with me. The world has changed, you’re no longer in charge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls