Are we getting too PC

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Just curious what the forum thinks of this story:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/air-canada-gender-neutral-trnd/index.html

Being part of the LGBT community, even I find this a bit much. ‘Hey Everybody, how’s it going’

Curious what you all think, and how else are we veering too far to be PC?

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree this is far too PC and even perhaps bordering on the absurd.
    Also possibly dangerous as non English speakers are I feel much less likely to understand the term ‘everybody’ than the more familiar ‘Ladies and Gentlemen’.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have no issue, if a company want to re-brand the way passengers/guests are welcomed. Thats down to marketing departments

I do have a big issue however with gender neutrality. Will the next step be to remove the terms “Mr” and “Mrs”, dress codes allowing men opps, “everybody” to go to work in suits or dresses? To me its just bonkers………… but there again, I am only a 58 year young MAN!

8 users thanked author for this post.

BEYbrit
    Participant

To be fair, “ladies and gentlemen” does make a judgement that the female travellers are ladies and the male travellers are gentlemen. My experience is that both are often far from true.

I don’t see what the hoo-har is all about. Everybody is friendly and all-encompassing without being patronising or making assumptions (that I am a gentleman, for example) about passengers.

And to answer the 58-year-old previous respondent to the post, I would say why ever not? If a man wants to wear a frock to work, why not? Who are we to say no? As long as you meet dress code for acceptable dresses, then of course, you should absolutely go for it.

It’s 2019.

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

I am also part of the LGBTQ community and very proud to be so, I think the term Gender Neutrality takes things a fraction to far as always you have to label someone that really doesn’t want to be labeled, I dont want to be labeled so why should this movement do so! We should be in an age where it doesn’t matter who you are and where there are no labels etc, we are all people after all… having said that, seeing Martyn going to work in a dress I would happily pay large amounts of money to see that MAN do that……

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hello everybody (or should it be Everybody?),

On a lighter note, some weeks ago I identified as a woman for the day! It was Women’s Day in South Africa, and all women get the day off so I thought I’d take advantage. Mrs. LP did say though that she didn’t notice any difference and man or women I’m still a lazy old pussycat 😉 😉

5 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

PCness has really gone too far. This is just another example. I’m a bit sick of forms and so on and that ask:
    Do you identify as male / female / other / gender neutral / etc?
    Coincidentally I had lunch the other day with a gay male friend and he also thinks it’s absurd.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=972686][/postquote]

I find the LGBT bias a bit unreasonable. Recently Hilton had significantly lower rates as LGBT, than any others. How can this be? If I book a Senior rate I have to prove my age:-)

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=972773][/postquote]

What do you mean by LGBT bias FaroFlyer, I wish I could in my life atest to a bias! Was it based around a specific “pride week” perhaps??

FaroFlyer
    Participant

K1ngston,
    No, it was over a period of time and a range of hotels in a range of Countries. Nothing related to a particular location, event or period of time. If you look in the OED a bias is a “predisposition or prejudice”. I think that my choice of word was specific and correct.

Normally to get a beneficial rate you have to prepay, or prove eligibility.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=972776][/postquote]

I am not questioning your point, what I am asking is how would they offer someone without them knowing that they are LGBT? Do I have to rock up with my husband to get the preferential rate, or wear my rainbow flag on my lapel? The point is I dont do any of these things so as you state you have to prove your age for Senior Citizen deals how would I prove my LGBTQ credentials??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Coincidentally I had lunch the other day with a gay male friend and he also thinks it’s absurd.”

I wonder why it’s necessary to label in such a way. If the conversation had been with me would it have been reported “i had lunch with a straight male friend, who is a Corbyn supporter and reads the Guardian and also thinks it’s absurd”…

🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s hard to avoid ‘labels’. The point I was trying to make is whereas a middle aged heterosexual male does not really fit into a ‘label’ category as the term is generally used to indicate someone who is ‘different’, my gay male friend is ‘different’ and he also thinks it’s absurd.

I hate political correctness. Total BS. It makes everything one says or writes subject to scrutiny. I remember going into a small camera shop where a member of staff had been exceptionally helpful the day before. I went back to buy an expensive camera and I wanted him to know that I had returned to buy because he’d been so helpful. I didn’t see him and explained to the lady on the counter why I was there and she asked who it was. I said : “He’s short, about my height, a black gentleman” and she seemed shocked and almost upset. If I had been being insulting about him I can understand that, but the situation was the exact opposite.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As a gay male, I personally happily identify as male.

But whether Air Canada or any other airline addresses me as a male or instead, addresses me as part of a non gender specific group – this doesn’t make me feel any less a male. It may, however, make someone who is struggling with their gender feel happier and included. And for that reason, I have absolutely no issue with Air Canada’s stance.

This issue is not about us feeling good. It’s about everyone feeling good.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BEYbrit
    Participant

http://marketingtherainbow.info/case%20studies/cs%20travel/hilton.html

The “go out” campaign run by Hilton is largely lauded as a groundbreaking campaign targeting LGBT+ travellers and centred around hotels providing deals at the time of their local pride events.

Given the sheer number of people travelling to such events, this makes sense – as doing being a visible and proud supporter of a demographic which is generally considered to be wealthier, better travelled and with higher disposable income than others.

PC gone crazy? In this instance, it seems like a good business decision.

Are Air Canada being too “pc”? Well their choice of language doesn’t hurt anyone and it makes everyone (including those who do – or don’t – identify as ladies or gentlemen) feel included. Where’s the issue?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls