APD Increases. Will you change yr Travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Airpocket
    Participant

I would presume the APD will go towards lining MPs’ pockets…

On an even more subversive note, can a case be made for booking an Economy ticket but, once on board, paying the crew for an onboard upgrade (thus avoiding the APD altogether and, more satisfactorily, telling Gordon and Alistair to shove it)? How long before the airlines wisen up to this and collaborate whole-heartedly with pax who want the upgrade but are happy to wait until the doors are closed before upgrading?

MarcusUK
    Participant

I used some KLM / FB miles recently for a flight to Manila Business class one way.

To start from UK for the AMS sector, had taxes at £277.
    T start from AMS, was £103!

Needless to say, I bought my economy one way at £59 with KLM, earned another flight, and some miles, had a great eve in Amsterdam at a 4 * hotel The American.
    Course could have not stayed in Amsterdam, but when the APD are raised again, i will either save the money, or use it for a better more relaxed travel experience. I have several gold cards, so quite content to travel in the EU economy, get all the perks anyhow.

That includes a policy of ONLY Ever paying the UK APD for economy services. Otherwise, i shall start elsewhere in the EU.

lloydah
    Participant

Am I alone in wondering, or just slightly brain dead, why this tax is not just divided equally amongst all seats/pax on a flight? I know there are fewer seats per square foot up front but does it make that much difference? I can just see the civil servant who believes that the more you pay for a ticket the more he can squeeze from your bank balance as additional tax and that probably has more to do with anything than environmental issues. Bit like duty on fuel and car tax. If only they spent most of it improving the roads…….

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls