Another European airline suspends Hong Kong services

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1198308]

Thats a Great Leap Forward…in policy………….

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1198308]

I understand that Jeremy Clarkson is taking Richard Hammond:-)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Off thread…. but I can’t stop looking… (if you click on it the full pictures compare exactly – well, apart from all the apartment blocks)

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Beautiful! It has changed so much, especially since Kai Tak closed and they could put up skyscrapers- not to mention flashing or moving illuminated signs on both sides of the harbour!

I remember my grandmother telling me she stayed in the Peninsula when it was on the waterfront…

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Ian, isn’t it the case that the harbour was narrowed ?

I first visited the Colony in 1974 when it was an entirely different place !

Visited it many times afterwards (until 1992) and I was later told there had been land reclamation between Central and Kowloon which made the Harbour slightly narrower.

So the Star Ferry trip of 1974 wasn’t quite as exciting as it was in 1992.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=1199167]Hello Ian, isn’t it the case that the harbour was narrowed ?

I was later told there had been land reclamation between Central and Kowloon which made the Harbour slightly narrower[/quote]

That’s an understatement! Originally the narrowest crossing was 1.8km. Now it is 910 metres!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1199172]That’s an understatement! Originally the narrowest crossing was 1.8km. Now it is 910 metres!

THANKS|[/quote]

Crikey ! I did not realise.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1199167]

Ian will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the trams in Central used to run along the front. The tramlines are still in the same place, but the front moved.

Montysaurus
    Participant

From 1985 until 2006 I visited HK as a stopover every 2 or 3 years returning from family visits to Australia. Every time I took panoramic photos from the Peak and have a good record of how Victoria Harbour has diminished over the years. Almost unrecognisable.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1199241]

Tbh I’m not sure. The “ding-dings” have been at least part of the way inland for as long as I can remember, but then I only first arrived in 1989.

I’ll see what I can find out…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news today from Germany (Wednesday January 26).

Aerotelegraph has just reported that Lufthansa is now suspending flights until the end of February.

More recently Lufthansa had been operating to Hong Kong via Bangkok. The latter was to change crew only.

Lufthansa stellt Flüge nach Hongkong ein

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today Flightglobal [paywall] reports that in 2021 HKG handled a mere 2 per cent of its pre-pandemic level.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/hong-kong-airport-2021-passenger-traffic-just-2-pre-pandemic-levels/147254.article

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1199364]

More detailed report here.

I never thought I would say this of the place I have called home for almost thirty years, but I will be glad to leave….

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1199409]

Thats been my thinking past year, it will not open for another 1-2 years. bottom line is south does what north says and north has no reason internally or externally as they see it to open up soon and keeping the population isolated from outside influence is exactly what they want

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls