AMS lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Sandie
    Participant

[quote quote=926571] Star alliance still uses the Aspire lounge. This lounge I find much less impressive, often overcrowded and the F&B offering is quite minimal [/quote]
    Agree, the Aspire lounge is a mess, dirty, very basic f&b. Stopped visiting it. Really wonder if airlines are aware of the poor standard there.
    Can recommend Schiphol’s own Privium lounges but think an annual membership is required.

prosborn
    Participant

The KLM lounge in Schengen last month was aksing (well, actually, the FB Help desk was saying they would by phone) for an eco FB member and a child of two EUR 55 per person. More than the ticket. In one way, a tad steep — especially since it was for a family member.

That said, given that since early 1990s (even pre-Schengen) I have always enjoyed respectful, helpful, friendly, tasty, PRM-sensitive, VIP-fawning-in-the-democraticish-Dutch-way service as a Plat for Life or much higher, I find it an effective filter to keep out the hoipolloi grazing swillers, and to keep control on the wonderful yet regretted raspberry juice, the extensive range of newspapers and journals, the comfortable seating, the PRM facilities, the nice nosh and the chatty and canny ambulant staff.

I reckon KLM have got it just about spot on with this one.

lesmclaren
    Participant

The Aspire lounge in the Shengen area is located next to the KLM lounge. They take multiple lounge membership cards including PP. It is also the Star Aliance lounge. It’s awful, every time I have been in there its overcrowded, the food and drink offering is minimal. The reception staff are offhand and often rude. Unless you already have a lounge paid membership you would be better spending the money in one of the restaurants or bars.
    If you are a fairly regular user of AMS then you might want to consider Privium. This gives you fast track access using eye scan as well as a landslide lounge in the short haul terminal and an air side lounge in the long haul one. Cost is €210 a year. Downside is if you are in long / short haul transit you need to go landslide to use the lounge.
    It’s a great shame but AMS, which at one time I would have ranked highly has overexpanded really without much thought for improving passenger amenities.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Many thanks to all who responded, your advice is always welcome and helpful. I have about 6 hours to pass in Schiphol so will just take the train into town and eat there.

prosborn
    Participant

Welcome! Perhaps instead: think outside the box, and join in the movement of reducing the tourist footprint on poor ol’ Ams.
    Three suggestions:
    1. LEIDEN: From the Schiphol rail station, jump on a train, heading south, (Ams is N), about 8 an hour, to Leiden. 15mins away. Nearer than Ams centre. The station is in the centre of Leiden, it’s a canny canally town, arty, academic, studenty, lovely in spring. Visit the working sail mill near the station, select one of thousand cafes …
    2. HAARLEM: From the busstops, usually B10, outside Schiphol rail station, buses nr 300 every 6 mins or to Haarlem, bus/rail station in centre. About 20mins ride. Often recommended as as good as Ams but without the tourists. No uni, but still loads of cafes, museums ..
    3. LAKE_BEACHSIDE SHACK and WOODS: Also on the bus route 300, but just 7 mins from Schiphol is Hoofddorp, an inconsequential capital of the reclaimed lake occupied by farmers and the airport. 2 mins on the bus past the centre towards Haarlem is the massive wooded/laked park called Haarlemmermeersebos (the woods of Haarlem Lake). chill in the woods, at lakeside beach shack-style ‘Papa’s Beach House’, about 4.5 mins walk from the 300 busstop.
    4. (of 3!). 26 train minutes from Schiphol is Utrecht. Also tourist-light.
    5. (I know, I’m on a roll). 23-27 train minutes from SPL is Rotterdam (InterCity direct, or TGV, the HSL line). Locals call it Roffa. It’s a working and fun-loving city.

Thanks, and again, welcome

Paul

3 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Montysaurus, I recommend you download the loungebuddy app. It will sync with Concur or Tripit, or you can load your flight details (and status, lounge memberships, credit cards etc), and it will tell you which lounges you can access, and has photos and user-generated reviews. The app itself is free. You can also buy entry into certain lounges through the app at a discount. It is really handy and I thoroughly recommend it. I have no affiliation with them other than as a very happy user.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls