All French borders closed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

SimonS1
    Participant

State of emergency in place nationwide after tonight’s events.

Not good.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks Simon. Booked to fly to Orly tomorrow morning from LHR, but guess that will not happen..?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

glued to Sky News… so very very sad….

They have said airports remain open and trains will run…. but that’s at 00.24..

MrMichael
    Participant

Shocking state of affairs. BBC news reporting unconfirmed reports that the refugee camp in Calais is on fire in a revenge attack.

Edited at 00.34….Calais report is not true.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Terrible what’s happening. Trouble is people are coming into Europe without papers and as Greece and Italy push them through they are not being documented. France is also to blame to an extent as they are not documenting people, for example as at Calais. The biggest blame must go to the EU with their weak disjointed policies and ineffectual negotiations with other nations.

I fear there’s worse to come!

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

I always find it peculiar that entry to theatres and museums are not subject to security searches.

Surely entry to places where a large number of people are gathered, and where exits are limited, should be subject to security (including x-ray) clearance. Otherwise it becomes a holding pen for murder.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Am supposed to take the TGV train to Paris on Monday morning. Will I? Who knows…

Meanwhile I am wondering to what extent this massacre, the Beirut one and the Russian aircraft bombing (if confirmed) are not linked to the fact the Russian army as well as the Kurds are progressing well in Syria…

canucklad
    Participant

Alas I’m stunned, but sadly not surprised with deep sadness this morning.

Ill add, I might be in the minority here, but I’m going to disagree with you Real Babushka . I don’t want to live in a state of constant fear. I would much rather enjoy my right to enter Tynecasle, Murrayfield, my local shopping mall, Edinburgh’s fine pubs and restaurants, it’s festival venues, and dare I say, it’s long awaited trams…..unhindered, free to move without feeling as if I’m in a state of war.

Because if we flinch and buckle, we have been defeated by these deranged and in my opinion, sub human and clearly not mentally capable of intellectual thought murderers.

My thoughts are to remember and hold true,these three words……….Liberté, égalité,fraternité.

Edit to add…….BA and eurostar allowing people to change tickets if you wish not to travel to Paris today.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Agree, Canucklad although I am afraid “they” won already if you see how 9/11 changed our lives, not in a good way. But, yes, let’s resist! Let’s continue to live as much as possible a normal life.

SimonS1
    Participant

Unfortunately the European ideal of free movement has always been flawed.

For example letting hundreds of thousands of refugees, migrants etc head unimpeded across Europe was a disaster waiting to happen with the risk of infiltration by criminals bent on creating havoc. You then end up with ghettos like the Calais one which no-one seems able to sort out.

Whilst appreciating the needs of desperate, innocent people we need to start significantly reinforcing border controls and set about removing people who shouldn’t be here. Security starts at home.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Canucklad, I agree with what you say and having lived in London during the IRA bombing campaign that’s what I did. I don’t think TheRealBabushka is advocating these security checks but rather foretelling what is to come as Swissdiver says has happened since 9/11.

Alsacienne
    Participant

The nation has suffered an unexpected and tragic series of events in the night of Friday/Saturday 13/14 November.

At present many people are in shock, and the media are very present on the scene and making global comments from the safety of their homelands.

It would be reasonable to assume that border controls on Schengen countries around France will be reintroduced which means that all those crossing them will be required to present valid and acceptable identity documentation and there will be significantly longer waiting times to go through the borders as each vehicle’s or foot passenger’s documentation is inspected.

The country has been under the Vigipirate legal status for some time now, and the present incident will result in a more visible police presence, reinforced by the military (often commonly seen at my local airports and main railway stations).

French police have always had the right to stop and question individuals, so it would be advisable to adhere to French law to be carrying personal ID when ‘out and about’. A photo driving licence bearing your signature and address might be helpful as a minimum. Keep your personal ID documents safe though.

Please respect those who are grieving and who are shocked. Understand that inconvenience at border points is for your security and for those around you and be patient.

Do not change the way you live because of the actions of a minority. Be sensible, sensitive and use your common sense.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Understand that inconvenience at border points is for your security and for those around you and be patient”.

“Inconvenience” – door…….horse …..bolted…

I hope the politicians will now seriously consider how to secure borders and stop unknowns (i.e without being able to identify themselves) crossing borders en masse….

Even the thread title is slightly misleading… France’s borders are not shut.

SimonS1
    Participant

It will be genuinely interesting to see what happens on the question of border controls.

For years EU leaders have criticised the UK stance, however in recent weeks we have seen several EU countries forced for various reasons to introduce checks and it looks like Messrs Tusk. Hollande, Merkel and Co might have to revise the great plan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls