Alex on… KLM’s checked luggage fees

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

• prosborn
    Participant

The comments on this thread, the massive scorn and disquiet over on FlyerTalk, and the appallingly negative feedback in the Dutch street press are making this into a PR disaster for KLCC (as it wishes to be known, according to alleged rumours).

Efforts by caring clients to mitigate the mess for KLM have been ignored.

One possible conclusion is that the boys in KLM leadership, mainly bred in a narrow elite band with a tendency towards certain types of deafness, deliberately went for an extreme “jape” in the communication of this policy.

They seem to have a vicarious thrill in having custard pies pitched at their smug faces. Not a pretty sight, but they seem to enjoy it.

– Paul

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For obvious reasons I can’t substantiate this, but a friend of mine who works for KLM in a very senior position tells me this is becoming a PR disaster with even top tier card holders objecting, not so much for themselves but for when staff or family have to travel who have no status.

Further, when people call the reservation centre to make a booking, and on being told of the charge, they say they’ll first check the competition and revert!

I think – and it’s only my own opinion – this charge may be dropped.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I wonder if BA will follow suit just as quickly dropping it as they did introducing it!

Binman62
    Participant

I realise MH are not a short haul carrier in Europe but really interesting that today they have introduced higher baggage allowances across all cabins and all status levels. It seems. Permanent feature from the email I got today!

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers Prosborn & LP…..

I rather suspect that this charge followed this decision making path….

1) Some bright spark in KLM’s finance department has an idea to generate extra revenue….( Bright spark has an accounts degree with no experiance of customer service or marketing)

2) Finance Director ( usually the 2nd most important person on the board proposes it —- even more so if that individual is in line to become the next CEO)

3) If the board believe their responsibility is to the shareholders, short sighted extra revenue equates to profit = GOOD !!

4) Grumbles from the Marketing department are ignored and they are instructed by the top brass to ” Make it Work” ….hence more consumer choice…

5) Customer service director reports back churn figures and finance director abdicates original decision as just an idea…

6) marketing people smile and have to plan a face saving withdrawl!

Until Customer service companies , change their internal hierarchy and equalise the importance of all the directors ( remove the percieved importance of the FD) then we will always have to put up with these hair brain schemes!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

It’s not only public service companies that make stupid decisions like this one. Remember the pasty tax?

Apparently the modern day Sir Humphrey’s had rolled it out to chancellors for years but they had the sense to discount it as unworkable until Osborne came along. There’s always one…

I agree with canucklad though, it’s time the bean counters were put in their places which is on a level with all other members of the board. It’s how we work, in fact the bean counter is probably the least important member of the board and we are growning very nicely year on year.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Those of you regularly travel with KLM, in the fb program, or look and book fares via there website on line, surely should have seen all last year, that they sold fares for gbp and even €99..
    LhR to AMS was less last year, starting at £89 return.

They already have offered these fares. Likewise, LCY to AMS with Cityjet, sold for £99.
    I am very loyal and like Vertrek, think KLM has and remains a pioneer in our EU Airlines, and has some of the highest standards of crew, and aircraft. I personally find them impeccable, long haul, short haul, and on the ground at schiphol.

I am also shareholder, and gold fb member. However, i thiink this is a wrong move. Easyjet have fares from AMS to several Airports in the UK, from€15.99 each way. Add on bags and buy a cecent coffee and sandwich, and your fare will still be half of klm.
    Gaining so much business from the UK, into profit last year, higher seat load, this will put people off.

Either go low cost, or dont KLM.
    There will be arguments at check in and at the gates, as i have seen with other Airlines often.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls