Alex on… KLM’s checked luggage fees

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

LuganoPirate

KLM have had a period when they were quite strict about size and weight of carry-ons. Recently they haven’t been that strict when I was flying them.

Good questions, glad I’m an FB member.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Lugano Pirate

KLM has a hand luggage weight limit of 12 kgs. The total of 12 kgs covers one bag and one accessory.

Measurements for length, width and height are 55 x 25 x 35 cms. Sum of the total dimensions is 155 cms including wheels and handles.

If KLM gate staff strictly enforce these measurements and weight limits and your hand luggage has to be placed in the hold then passengers will have to pay a fee of Euros 30.

On the other hand, if the overhead bins are full, which could happen on some of the smaller commuter planes KLM uses within Europe, and the hand baggage (which meets KLM’s rules in terms of measurements and weight) has to go in the hold then it would be unfair to charge passengers this fee.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Alex,

I agree it would be unfair to charge in this instance, but since when have airlines played fair when it comes to making a euro or two?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes, I agree.
    I feel sympathy for KLM’s hard-pressed staff who will have to enforce the new charges (where applicable).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Especially if I turn up with my wooden leg, eye patch and cutlass 😉

Why will this policy apply just to KLM and not to AF?

Vertrek
    Participant

Alex,

Only KLM not AF? I think both carriers are experiencing, KLM with paid luggage and lower price for non FB members and AF with “basic” fare which include nothing but food.

— To all —

I think, KLM has always been the most innovative EU carrier, they are the first airlines in the world to establish JV – with GA way way back – and the first to do transatlantic JV with NW. The first EU legacy carrier to set up low cost airline “transavia”, and now lowering price for no luggage.

As said before, as much as I dislike this, this is the future of air travel in EU and the world, sooner or later the rest will follow suit, KLM just happen to be brave enough to take the first step. But again, as far as I know, all of us here are FB members, so, none of us here actually need to pay for luggage, in stead we all benefit from the lower price being offered.

With this, I kinda hope that KLM will provide the option to book an a la carte hot meal in advance for their EU flight.

Posters may be interested to know that BA has just announced a new “hand baggage only” fare, initially launching on five routes from Gatwick:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-launches-hand-baggage-only-fare

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Amazing, that didn’t take them long to follow KLM’s lead did it? They are usually much slower.

Edski777
    Participant

And I thought BA was one of the most conservative airlines in Europe. This shows that they can react fast if they want (have?) to.
    I believe that many of the other big ones like LH, AF will follow soon.

We will all be LCC travellers.

Has anybody any ideas on innovations that may be introduced next? All of the above is about travel in Y, but what can premium cabin travellers expect? Or is C to disappear in the near future?

VintageKrug
    Participant

As I have long stated, I don’t thinkshorthaul Club Europe has long to last on many routes at Gatwick.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

To BT author – are these fares only available through the website as can’t see them on Galileo yet (they have a £4 plus tax fare for 7th March which is £46.71 but this includes 1 piece of baggage?)

Edski777
    Participant

VK: What do you think about C short haul to/from LHR.

Have been on many flights both at BA and KL on the LHR – AMS route with just a few people. Y on the other hand was always almost packed.

Hi TimFitzgeraldTC – the press release doesn’t specify – it just says that the fares “will go on sale from February 19, for travel from February 26, 2013”.

We’ll drop BA an email and see if we can get clarification on this.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Shorthaul C will continue as long as there is a wish to generate connecting traffic which currently there is.

Look at the LH model, C will remain on services to FRA and MUC (awful though NEK is – see I’ve now criticised LH). Even services to Berlin will move to Germanwings as there is no longhaul traffic there.

Shorthaul C in Europe is a joke on any carrier. Some serve better food, some have better seats but none of them stand apart.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls