Alex On… can the long-haul LCC model survive ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=926131]But when it comes to overnight flights of ten, twelve hours whilst the fare is still an important factor I would rather pay more to factor in higher comforts[/quote]

This, redoubled in spades.

rferguson
    Participant

Despite the cancellation of their LGW-SIN service I think Norwegian must still hold the crown for the longest route served by a LCC with LGW-EZE?

Although looked at a calendar of fares for June/July Norwegians are quite similar to BA’s and although I’m certainly no BA economy fan I know who I’d rather fly with.

I would have thought the success in Norwegians EZE service could be down to its launching of domestic flights within Argentina which could provide feed but was interested to see that Norwegians domestic flights fly from the more central/smaller Aeroparque airport instead of Ezieza International where most flights depart.

I guess EZE is a very different market to SIN also. Less premium demand, and less competition. SQ serves LHR-SIN four times a day and BA twice. Plus the plethora of indirect services via the Middle East. London – EZE only had BA before Norwegian entered the market.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=926498]I note that Norwegian have cancelled their service to Singapore, I did not know this, I certainly wouldn’t have flown them for that sector just curious as to why this particular service failed, I understand the price was good?[/quote]

Norwegian announced this route would be cancelled back in September 2018. Final flight was last January see our report from 2018 below.

Why was it cancelled ?

Similar to Air AsiaX’s experiences in Europe a number of years ago.

Between SE Asia and Europe there is simply too much competition both direct and indirect. That depresses yields.

Norwegian found it could make more money flying to Latin America where the fares and yields ex-Europe are higher and where there is less competition.

Norwegian to axe Singapore in favour of Rio de Janeiro

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=926755]Despite the cancellation of their LGW-SIN service I think Norwegian must still hold the crown for the longest route served by a LCC with LGW-EZE?[/quote]

I am sure you are correct with LGW-EZE. And now Norwegian has just started flights to Rio de Janeiro.

transtraxman
    Participant

Norwegian has just received authorisation to fly Madrid to Lima with a daily flight.
    Starting when?
    So it appears that the model is not questioned by the authorities.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Low-cost carrier IndiGo plans a service between Delhi and London Gatwick. But there is some doubt about whether or not it will ever operate.

In the meantime IndiGo has launched a Delhi-Istanbul service its longest flight to date/

But because of the Pakistan airspace closure means the flight time has increased substantially. A Doha refuelling stop is needed Westbound And it is using a narrow-body A321neo for this route (a similar aircraft is planned for Delhi-London).

IndiGo goes one-stop to Istanbul

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls