A350’s tenth anniversary

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Hannah Brandler
    Keymaster

Airbus is today celebrating the tenth anniversary of its A350 maiden flight, which took place on June 14, 2013.

Since its debut, the A350 has flown over 270 million passengers across more than 1,200 routes.

What are some of your best experiences on the aircraft?

FDOS
    Participant

Getting off it.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Hannah Brandler
    Keymaster

Aviation analytics firm Cirium also provided data on the aircraft:

– 495 A350s are currently in service across the globe, with 91 airlines having the jet in their fleet
    – A further 435 A350s are on order and due to be delivered in the coming years
    – 46 A350s are currently in storage
    – In June, there are scheduled to be 28,388 flights operated by A350 aircraft – equating to over 8.9 million seats
    – Singapore will see the highest number of A350 flights this month, followed by Doha, Hong Kong, Tokyo-Haneda and London Heathrow

sparkyflier
    Participant

FDOS – I did chuckle at your short answer. I would have had a longer chuckle had you added a “on” between the last two words however.

Anyway back on subject – only been on Finnair and Qatar A350 (former J products) and as its main rival is the 787 will say I generally prefer the A350 – mainly due to its extra width (and a bit more comfy for economy travellers) and the windows, which are not dimmed by crew.

Also remember the Finnair one had a loo with a view!

I know Airbus are trying to make future A350 able to seat 10 seats across which just sounds cruel and hideous.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Airbus already has sparkyflier.

Some time ago Air Asia X wanted to buy some A350s for future expansion.

Airbus devised a 10-across Y layout for the Malaysian airline. Later, however, Air Asia X cancelled the order saying the A350 was too expensive.

But French Bee (a budget carrier) has already taken delivery of some A350s and these are configured 10-across Y.

https://www.frenchbee.com/sites/default/files/2022-01/plan_cabine.pdf

Bullfrog
    Participant

thank you FDOS .. BUT why ?

FDOS
    Participant

[quote quote=1368805]Quote[/quote]

Very narrow seats in Y (extra legroom row).

cwoodward
    Participant

The width of the seat much depends on the airline – some like Cathay A350s are 18″ which is a comfortable width.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Based on my travel experience (many flights in both), A350 seems to be superior to B787 design mainly from less noise inside cabins.

Agree that many economy seats are squeezed – even in 9 across the legroom is very tight but same as in the B787 as well. Seat layout depends on airlines but plane makers definitely have some role in it.

Business class travel is luxury but travel in economy class more than 4 hours is very stressful nowadays in most airlines and aircrafts.

USA and EU legislate a lot of things for human safety and comfort. I am surprised none of the responsible authorities from these two is not doing anything to legislate minimum seat width and legroom. All know that people are generally getting taller and healthy, I believe some legislation is required for comfortable journey. Of course fare will increase a little bit, but fares are increasing anyway for so many other reasons.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I like the A350, airlines I have flown the 350 (Finnair and CX) seats and space have been very comfortable. One of the things I dislike immensely about the 787 though is cabin crew darkening the cabin during day flights. (see Nonstop Dan’s flight review as an example, scroll forward to 6 mins).

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I flew with Air Caraibes back in 2019 and their Y seating was 10 across then.
    We were sat in premium econ which was still 9 across!
    More like AA’s main cabin extra in terms of pitch, but seats were comfortable, with service and F&B a notch above general premium economy fare.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[postquote quote=1368802]

In fairness the 10 across config is only really suitable for low cost carriers. Now before you say it won’t take long for full service carriers to adapt it, bear in mind there is a LCC version of the A330 with 9 across economy and only LCC’s have opted for it.

travel4piers
    Participant

Hi, long time reader, first time poster.
    I think the A350 is a wonderful plane. I’ve flown it many times. Particularly with Finnair and Cathay. Occasionally Qatar.
    I go out of my way (with Cathay) to choose flights with the A350.
    It’s quiet – the quietest wide body flying today (only downside a snorer can be easily heard), air quality and pressurisation are very good. I always get off the plane feeling much more refreshed than say after a 777 flight.
    My current wide body preferences are:
    A350
    A380
    B787
    A330
    B777

4 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

It is worth remembering that the 787

was designed originally to be an 8 across in economy aircraft

(2+4+2) BUT the airlines got greedy.

I believe only JAL have this aircraft’s economy offering as Boeing originally intended (although maybe not on domestic only aircraft).

The A350 was originally intended also to be similar in cross section to the A300/310/330 and 340 but the market (airlines) said they wanted a bigger aircraft and so Airbus went back to the drawing board and came back with the “XWB” A350, with 9 across in economy.

Of course what seats go on the plane is the choice of the airline itself, but Y in a 787 is especially tight. The first time I flew in a 787 I was in premium economy on BA (very comfy IMO), but I went back to Y on boarding to check the seat out, and my immediate thought was “this is the most uncomfortable aircraft seat I have ever been in”. The aircraft was empty at the time and so no neighbour, but it was tight and not nice at all.

FDOS can I ask if your opinion was based on the BA A350? From pictures it seems they have chosen pretty narrow seats – maybe more so that other airlines.

MartynSinclair – I totally agree with you re the stupid windows. If passengers want to sleep put on an eye mask.

787 is the aircraft I generally would want to avoid and would choose 777/767/330/350/380 over it.

But a big benefit of the A350 and 787 as travel4piers observes is the better quality air/air pressure. This is in no doubt and you always arrive feeling fresher and less “yucky”.

BTW – travel4piers – thank you for your first post and welcome to the forum! I hope we hear more from you going forward.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1369373]I believe only JAL have this aircraft’s economy offering as Boeing originally intended (although maybe not on domestic only aircraft).[/quote]

Indeed. Re B787. I believe JAL is the only carrier to offer this configuration on international routes.

ANA originally opted for 2-4-2 seating on international routes but changed its mind soon after and followed the others with 3-3-3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls