A DAY IN THE LIFE OF GLASGOW CIRCA 1984

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Really entertaining. All the old favourites from years gone by BCal, Orion, Dan Dair, Britannia etc.

No exec lounge at Barra?? No wonder VK at 17:28 is looking so grumpy.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The lack of an Executive Club lounge at Barra is a disgrace.

Perhaps Barra has one now. After all, this was nearly 30 years ago. It looks beautiful and sounds so exotic. Maybe I am thinking of Bora Bora.

Beach or no beach, I don’t like short take-offs. No fun.

stevescoots
    Participant

There was a nice docu on BBC 4 last night about British built passenger birds, brittania, comet and VC10. interesting input from the Chinford Skinhead himself on when he co-piloted the Brittania and just how much BOAC was part of the failure of UK passenger jet industry

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I thought I would bring this thread back to life to offer a suggestion to those who want to see more Aviation nostalgia from the 80s.

It is….. watch (or record more likely) “Bergerac” at 11am every weekday on the Yesterday channel.

Seriously, I spotted this was on the other day and have been recording all the episodes as I was a fan of this in the 80s. What has surprised me has been the sheer number of scenes shot at Jersey airport. The producer was clearly an aviation fan as whenever a visitor comes to Jersey, they will nearly always use a scene filler shot of an aircraft landing, taxiing, etc. Yesterday’s episode was a classic with ample shots of British Airways 111’s, British Air Ferries viscounts, Aer Lingus 737-200, Air UK Heralds, etc.

For those of you who don’t know the series, Bergerac (played by John Nettles, also of Midsomer Murders fame) is a detective in the Bureau des Etrangers of the Jersey police who investigates any crime involving visitors hence the regular shots of the airport.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Haha thanks for this BATH_VIP.

I flew through Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and thought of this clip.

Ironically, Bergerac also featured the ferry port & the pub or harbour in St Aubins as well as the airport. I lived and worked in Jersey for 2 years and was disappointed at the continuity as in he would go from airport to harbour via somewhere totally off plan. I think Bergerac had some input from the Jersey Tourist Board ;o)

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

This is of course the New Glasgow Airport.

The original was a short distance away at Renfrew..ie Renfrew Airpot.

‘Abbotsinch”as it was known as was for years a military” aerodrome” from the time if not earlier of the ww2 home of the City of Glasgow spitfire Squadron,then Royal Navy etc and was where I used to fly air experience with the ATC ..in gliders in the early 60s….very quiet then…

After it was taken over by the City and the rest is of course…..

canucklad
    Participant

KeaneJohn…..

As i recall another good series for a nostaligic look back at aviation, is Hawaii 5-0…so much so that when i was a wee boy I was petrified and scared for my family members when told we where stopping off in HNL en route to OZ for a few days….

All because of Hawaii 5-0 …..start of the programme inevitably had someone walking down the steps of the aircraft….then whoever got that unlucky lei hung around them ,became the murder case for McGarrett to solve………”Book em Danno murder 1″

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls