7 Hours Layover (Connection time) at Hong Kong Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

As others have said although you have 7 hours from arrival to departure you probably have at most 5 hours to travel to and from the airport.

The city gate option is a good one as is the cable car ride.

http://www.np360.com.hk/en/

Disneyland HKG is 15 minutes by cab from the airport and about USD15 each way by cab and has special transit prices – just keep your inbound and out bound boarding passes handy.

I would go into to town just for the sites and to cross Victoria Harbour on the Star Ferry. One of the top 100 things to do before your die!

The train to central takes just 24 mins, less to Tsium Sha Tsui.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.html

It is then a short 5 -10 min walk to the ferry terminal at TST or Central . You will however need local currency for the ferry which is less than $10HKG..bargain!

http://www.starferry.com.hk/services.html

Having seen the harbour and taken the ferry, it is back to the airport on the super efficient train, again in about 20 minutes and all the while wonder why the rest of the world has got such poor infrastructure!! This airport, railway and bridges only opened in 1998 and they are already planning for 2030 and beyond.

This is all easily achieved in 4 hours.

If there are more than 3 or 4 in the party then my advice would be to take a cab to town. Slower than the train, but a lot cheaper at around $300HKG one way.

Alternatively, take a day room at the Regal. This is a fantastic airport hotel with a small but perfectly acceptable pool and spa. They may even allow non-residents into the spa/pool if you ask..just send an email ahead of time….

Finally, you could just wonder around the airport. It is vast with many paid entry lounges if you do not have status. If you do have status or are travelling in F or J with CX, then prepare for the best in lounges.

Whatever you do you will almost certainly love HKG it is a fantastic place to visit.

canucklad
    Participant

Mahindra…do you have a layover on the way back too…if you do…strongly advise you invest in an octopus card on arrival this time!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hardly a condemnation – I was pleased to have visited, but it’s just not somewhere which “did it” for me. I would certainly recommend others to visit and make up their own minds.

I much preferred Beijing. Singapore I can take or leave, but I do like the hotels there.

Your parody did make me crack a smile, however.

The HK History Museum was also fascinating – we spent over three hours there. But if you’re history was shaky you’d come away with quite a different approach to British Colonialism – not all of which was good, but not all of which was bad, either – than a more balanced understanding of the world back then would give you. I did, however, learn a thing or two about our drug trafficking past!

I much prefer “Afternoon Tea” to High Tea, which is something completely different. The Peninsula’s attempt at Afternoon Tea was deeply unsatisfactory, another nail in the coffin for HKG.

canucklad
    Participant

Mahindra…should have said, an Octopus card is a pre-paid transit card you can use on the MTR, Star ferries and IAn can correct me some taxi’s?

Importantly, any money left on it you can spend at the airport 7/11

VK…I’m always willing to learn something new

I’m just having my 1/2 past elevenses…please enlighten me about the difference betyween tea’s….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Very few taxis accept Octopus, but they can be used most other public transport and in convenience stores

VintageKrug
    Participant

High Tea is more of a savoury, post work “feed”, more of an early supper. Something a miner might have enjoyed on returning home from their shift before they were all turned into call centre operatives. Sausages and eggs, beans, possibly a pie. That sort of thing.

Afternoon Tea is a much more genteel affair, necessarily focussing on drinking tea, primarily a social event rather than a means to assuage hunger, and invented by the Duchess of Bedford at Woburn. Tea from a pot, finger sandwiches, cake and possibly scones and jam if you opt for them. A glass of ‘poo washes it all down rather nicely, and helps clear the palette after all that tea!

Americans (and possibly Canadians!) use “high” to mean “formal” (as in “high table”, a throwback to an older form of English usage existent when they all decided to leave) which seems to be where the confusion starts.

You get other interesting nuggets when travelling around the former Pink Bits, such as the Australian use of a “schooner” of beer, a term very prevalent at the time the convicts started being sent over there in great numbers, but not a term you’d likely hear in the UK these days.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls