7 Hours Layover (Connection time) at Hong Kong Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

Mahindra
    Participant

I am travelling to Vancouver from Mumbai thro’ Cathay Pacific. I have a layover of 7 Hours at Hongkong Airport. What are the activities at Hong Kong to utilise this spare time.
    How long does it take for the process of Immigration both the times while leaving the Airport and while coming back.

NTarrant
    Participant

A shame that you have essentially so little time as there is lots to see. You could take train to Hong Kong island and then you have Peak Tram up to the top where you will get super views over HKG Island. Going back to the airport take the airport bus rather than the train as it gives a different perspective than the train.

Immigration is not too bad depending on your passport.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I would recommend stay local to the airport only 5 minutes by taxi is;

http://www.citygateoutlets.com.hk/home/Pages/home.aspx
    where you can explore many designer shops at lower prices than downtown.
    Within the same complex is also
    http://www.np360.com.hk/en/ a great experience

canucklad
    Participant

A wee bit more info would be good Mahindra…..

What time do you arrive and what class are you flying in?
    Also are you travelling with kids….i.e not much habd luggage etc!

Most importantly what do you most want out of essentially 4 hours?

Oh…. I was going to give you some must do’s for when you get to Vancouver!

npchuaMY
    Participant

The arrival immigration clearance at HK airport can be anything between 5 – 40 minutes, depends on what time you arrive.

What NTarrant suggest is right, take the airport express train to HK island and back to airport by airport bus. The scenery on the bridge crossing the sea is superb which you can’t see from the train because the railway track is at the lower level of the bridge and is close in both sides.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Immigration is usually pretty efficient – 15 minutes would be a decent allowance although you could be unlucky and have to wait longer. Once you are through, you can be in HK or Kowloon in half an hour (the train runs every 12 minutes and takes 25 minutes to get to HK Island, slightly less to Kowloon)

If you are a golfer, there is a great little 9-hole golf course on the airport site, with a free shuttle. You can rent clubs for HK$120 (less than US$20) and 9 holes on a weekday costs just HK$400 – http://www.nine-eagles.com

If you are a spa addict, the Regal hotel at the airport has (I am told) a superb spa. Given the speed of getting into town there are plenty of other options there as well

Disneyland is on the same island as the airport – for details of how to get between them look here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090403235121AA50Duc

If you are a beach lover, there are plenty of options – reply to this post and I can send you some suggestions

Tell us what else you are interested in – we can make suitable recommendations!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Although I was staying for a few days, we hired a Bentley from the airport (arranged by the hotel) – a great way to arrive in HK!

The Peak is really only worth it if it’s not foggy – you may as well be in Morpeth when the mist comes down – though I suppose train enthusiasts may find the Peak Tram fun. I didn’t.

If you enjoy seeing historical revisionism in action, then you should take a look at the Hong Kong History Museum – you can tell the increasingly pro-Chinese slant on things as the installations become more recent.

I really wanted to like HK, and perhaps I would have liked it more two decades ago, though I suspect not.

The place really didn’t float my boat (especially after I found I had eaten Shark Fin Soup – the horrors of which I was previously ignorant of, and was only served it after asking the waiter to recommend some local delicacies).

Seven hours should be quite enough.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I have used the spa at Regal Hotel. It was a while ago but very good. They do a package in a spa room of about 3-4 hours. It’s a great way to relax before your flight. You have to phone to book it though as I recall.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

A parody:

“Although I was staying for a few days, we hired a Mini from the airport (arranged by the hotel) – a great way to arrive in the UK!

The London Eye is really only worth it if it’s not raining – you may as well be in Morpeth when the mist comes down – though I suppose train enthusiasts may find the London Underground fun. I didn’t.

If you enjoy seeing historical revisionism in action, then you should take a look at the posts by VintageKrug on the merits of the BA Club World seat – you can tell the increasingly pro-old-world slant on things increases as the installations become more dated.

I really wanted to like the UK and BA, and perhaps I would have liked them more two decades ago, though I suspect not.

The place really didn’t float my boat (especially after I found I had eaten jellied eels – the horrors of which I was previously ignorant of, and was only served it after asking the waiter to recommend some local delicacies).

Seven hours should be quite enough.”

Well, having got that out of my system, could I just point out that I think the original poster was asking for some constructive suggestions rather than this rather unpleasant condemnation of the place I am pleased to call home?

I would add that the Peak is rarely foggy at this time of year, and the chances are that Malhindra will encounter clear, dry, warm weather (mid- to high-20s), and decent visibility

Ignore VK, Malhindra, and come here with a positive attitude – the vast majority of our visitors enjoy our home!!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Personally I wouldn’t venture downtown at all but would stay local to the airport with some of the ideas already mentioned.

If you do however decide to venture down town go to the Ritz Carlton, have a spa treatment at the top of the hotel overlooking the bay and Hong Kong Island. You will also get a better view than the peak! After you are done pop to the bar have a drink or may be afternoon tea then pop on the train back to the airport. Warning this place is not cheap! (prob the most expesive hotel in HKG)

edited

Travellator
    Participant

Nice one Ian !

HKG is one of our favourite places and we do a pilgrimage once a year at least in October/November when the weather is at its best. Nothing quite like the open air viewing platform on the 45th floor at the Four Seasons !

BABenji
    Participant

Close to the airport is the Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery, which is worth a visit. He certainly is big.

As an alternative, you could get yourself down to Nathan Road and be measured up for some shirts (suits take a couple of fittings, so not possible for your stopover). They are priced like M&S but fit like a glove! Sam’s will send them on to you anywhere in the world.

The Goldfish Market is worth a strole around too. It’s in Mongkok where there is also an indoor food market which is an eyeopener for anyone taking their first trip to Asia. It was the first place I saw bags of live toads/frogs (not sure which) for sale.

Hong Kong is fascinating – not a place I could live, but a great place to visit.

BigDog.
    Participant

Excellent Ian,

Nothing more to add Mahindra except whether your stay is half a day or a week, I would strongly advise AGAINST hiring a car. HK has a wonderful range of transport which really adds to its charm and should be experienced.

The open top trams go nearly everywhere and are great fun way to see HK (Island and TST especially) at street level, star ferries are an institution and a must, the train from the airport is fast efficient and regular. The MTR-Metro is clean, efficient and fairly widespread. A quick harbour cruise would be memorable and even better if taken after dusk.

Even if you were there for a week having a car is more hassle than a benefit. As with any large bustling city parking isn’t easy. There are plenty of fair priced taxis anyway and have never been ripped off.

For me it is the best City in Asia knocking the pleasant but clinical Singapore into a cocked hat. You could even challenge them to get a suit or some shirts made up for you within the day.

Enjoy.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I can personally vouch for the Hong Kong History Museum. Great place and an interesting view into the transformation of HKG from colonial outpost to financial hub to a special administrative region of China.

I also love HKG, the food, the buzz, the shopping. Far more exciting than Singapore (which I also enjoy when I visit).

Go easy on VK though. His fascination with British Airways, High Tea in BA First and Bentley suggests that he perhaps still lives in an era where the very best the world had to offer was British.

HKG is a great mix of that wonderful British colonial past mixed with the excitement of China and Asia.

Worth visiting for sure!

Enjoy!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls