50 years today of commercial flights on the Boeing 747

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• paulkaz
    Participant

K1ngston The Thai 747 does the daily BKK SYD run. The thai grandees on the route like first and the passenger numbers can’t justify the A380. Nothing better than seat 1a ahead of the pilot on take off. The old 747 SPs that QF flew were ever better as their take off speed and incline was amazing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

My first experience was of course with the ‘world’s most experienced airline,’ Pan Am. My Dad was VP at InterContinental which Pan Am had founded and owned at the time, so we always flew Pan Am, yes, for free, and always in First. As kids it was such a thrill. The upper deck turned into a restaurant during meal times, Stewards changd into Tuxedos to serve dinner, it was really a different time then. Shame I was so young as I am sure I didnt enjoy it as much as the adults did, but it was always fun for my broher and me, and something I will always have the memory of (i hope).

EruditeSheep
    Participant

Most of us will recall so many experiences of travel on such an iconic aircraft. I’ve lost count of how many versions/airlines I have experienced, but there have been some notable examples including BA, UA, LH, TG, SA and NZ. My first taste of the “high life” was on a BA flight from LHR to MEL in 1981 – upper deck C-class in seats that were probably not too dissimilar to those fitted by some airlines in premium economy these days. Routing was LHR-KUL-SIN-MEL in those days. Other notable examples were on UA1 in the days that they offered an around-the-world service via DEL. Another notable was with NZ on a flight from AKL to BNE, where I was one of only two passengers on the upper deck. What service!

Various correspondents comment on the tattiness of some BA 747s, even in F class. Sometimes these are obviously long in the tooth (especially those with the ancient IFE system), but in C-class provided you can get seat 64K you can be guaranteed a good night’s sleep. I would certainly suggest that the most recent versions of the 747 are a cut above the rest. Indeed I recall a notable return from IAD to FRA on an LH 747-8 to make that point. I guess the only other version I would like to sample would be Air Force 1, but I don’t suppose there is much chance of that experience.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Like so many, I also remember my first trip on a 747 (Argentine Airways, in J) and agree – no other aircraft has so engrained itself in the popular consciousness.

That said, I’m a huge fan of the 380. Same feeling of space and an evening stronger feeling of solidity, and the quietest airliner in the skies, by miles. Best experienced in a premium cabin operated by one of the Middle or Far Eastern airlines – Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, Etihad – where you really do feel that you are someone special in something special.

Always thought it a shame that BA didn’t work to produce a premium cabin that really was different, for the A380.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls