50 years today of commercial flights on the Boeing 747

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

On January 22nd, 1970 the Boeing 747 completed its first commercial flight from New York to London. Since then the “Jumbo Jet” fleet has flown 121 billion kilometres and carried 5.9 billion passengers.

A beautiful aircraft deserving of the title ‘Queen of the Skies’. Recently I had the opportunity to spend an hour on the flight deck of a 747. It’s a real classic flight deck, not like the sanitised computer control rooms of modern aircraft.

Sadly they are being gradually phased out but opportunities to fly 747s will still be around for a few years.

I remember my first flights on 747s, overnight flights between ZA and Europe, parking up on the tarmac in the small hours, at the old Embakasi NBO airport with half a dozen other 747s in a row, massive aircraft, gleaming ghostly yellow and white under the artificial lights. Southbound, they would land usually just after dawn.

That aircraft changed the world. For better or for worse gives rise to another discussion, but either way, this is an anniversary that deserves to be recognised.

GreggyR
    Participant

[quote quote=987774]That aircraft changed the world. For better or for worse gives rise to another discussion, but either way, this is an anniversary that deserves to be recognised.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree. I am surprised that there has been little coverage over such a significant anniversary. I did track a BA 747 (G-CIVE) in from YVR yesterday that landed at 14.10, just 4 minutes shy of the time that the first 747 landed 50 years ago at 14.14. Hopefully there will be some coverage in the media over the coming days.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Agree with everything you say Capetonianm. The Queen of the Skies, a status the 380 is unlikely to ever achieve.

However, having flown both ways to USA on a 747 in December, the aircraft has certainly had its day. It may have been elegant, but its creaking at the edges (inside) its certainly anti – Greta and it’s time for the aircraft to retire gracefully, whilst it can. Yesterday’s engineering elegance, sadly, becomes tomorrows derelict rust…

Except of course for the -800 – now if………..

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I imagine that BA now has the largest fleet of 747? Unfortunately my PHL 747 flight soon to be replaced with A350 – no F but new J seat – things move on…..
    I hate to think how many days of my life have been spent on a 747.

CarlB
    Participant

I’ve flown on the 747 a few times recently and agree that her best days are clearly long gone. Such a beast though and forever The Queen.

K1ngston
    Participant

I remember when they introduced the 400 variant which had the wing tips and actually looking forward to boarding the Queen to whisk you to your destination, she was indeed a fantastic aircraft to fly and opened up the world for many of us Business Travellers. Interesting enough I can only think of Thai Airways that operates a 400 series between BKK and HKT as the only Asian carrier still using the plane…. Ahhh those were the days!!!

w8ster
    Participant

Had many wonderful memories of this Queen of sky with MH, SQ, CX & VR.. Some horrible ones (only because of Service) with BA & QF..

Beautiful piece of engineering and sad to see the -8 didn’t really catch on.. Hopefully I’ll have an opportunity to be on one of the -8 before the go..

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=987810]Agree with everything you say Capetonianm. The Queen of the Skies, a status the 380 is unlikely to ever achieve.[/quote]

The difference between the A380 and the Boeing 747 is really simple. The Queen of the Skies is engrained into our popular culture, Whether it be through music or movies, most of the western world , and certainly if you’re of a certain age simply know it as the Jumbo Jet.
    It’s an icon of our time that unfortunately is destined to the same fate as the only other true aviation icon of our time “Concorde”
    And the real beauty of the 747 is that unlike Concorde it wasn’t an elitist icon. Sort of like our relationship with the Volkswagen Beetle and a Ferrari —We admire a Ferrari, but love Herbie !!

[quote quote=987940]Had many wonderful memories of this Queen of sky with MH, SQ, CX & VR.. Some horrible ones (only because of Service) with BA & QF..[/quote]

My first experience of the 747 was being huckeled along with my younger sister into the back of my dad’s Chevy , adorned in my favourite PJ’s we drove to the viewing point at the end of the runway at YVR . Gazing up at the dusk sky , impatiently seeking the emergence of the glow of the landing gear lights somewhere to the east, somewhere over Richmond !!
    And then, a glimmer, and for the next few minutes we sat starstruck as the lights grew brighter, the drone of the engines became louder, and then the crescendo of noise as the mighty beast filled the sky above. . Sometimes , sitting on my dad’s shoulder ,I felt I could actually touch the rubber above, then with a twist of the head the huge puffs of smoke rose like a dragon breath as she came back to earth .
    Ánd finally as she disappeared along the length of the runway the final deafening roar of the engines signalled time to return home to bedtime and a wee boys dreams . After all it was school night..
    Maybe Air Canada should have taken that into account and rescheduled their inbound YYZ flight to arrive earlier than 21.15

Didn’t take long for those dreams to be realized, as CP Air took delivery of their fleet to compete with AC , mine 1st flight on a family employee ticket to HNL
    Since that first CP flight , I’ve flown on 747’s belonging to KLM, Wardair, JAL, BA, Qantas , Garuda, Cathay, and I’m sure I’ve missed a few. Ironically , I’ve flown on many AC aircraft , alas never their 747 !! So maybe one of my dreams was never realized : )

3 users thanked author for this post.

AJDC
    Participant

My very first flight was on a BA 747. I was hooked. As others have already said – the Queen.
    I will be sad to see them all go. I better get my act together and take a trip on the 748 variant before that too leaves.

Hail to the Queen!

fatbear
    Participant

My first flight on a B747 was in 1994.

I have flown on British Airways ( Toronto, Singapore, Mumbai, Dubai and Bahrain ), Singapore Airlines ( Singapore and Sydney ), KLM ( Toronto, Curacao, St Maarten and Singapore ), Northwest ( Minneapolis and Mumbai ), Air New Zealand ( Los Angeles ) and Air France ( Reunion ).

I do remember a Pan Am B747 flying over my house, I think in 1970, on its way to the Farnborough Airshow

esselle
    Participant

My first 747 flight was on PanAm, 100 or 200, probably in 1980, LHR-SFO. Curved staircase and a smaller bubble than on the 744 made the upper deck very intimate.

Since then, flown with BA, AF, LH, CX, KLM, SQ, and always found it to be a great aircraft. Many cockpit take offs/landings as well pre 9/11, and I much prefer the traditional joystick to the side sticks found on Airbus.

SimonS1
    Participant

I used to go monthly to Johannesburg in the early 2000s. BA had not long introduced flat beds and there was nothing better than upstairs on a 747. Great service in a fairly intimate environment.

These days the planes are tatty and to be honest there are better airlines and better aircraft.

Everything in life moves on, can’t say it bothers me much.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you want to experience the Golden Age of travel, try Cunard where even in ‘economy’ you are treated like a king.

Everything ‘golden’ went out of flying when the airlines needed to compete with loco’s.. and all the glitz was either removed or charged as an add on…

Long haul Private Jet travel does retain a degree of ‘golden age’ – but at what cost…

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Fond memories of Pan Am Clipper climbing the curved staircase, and then Virgin 200 series up the curved staircase.

100 & 200 always seemed a bit more special than the 400 series going up the straight staircase to a relatively large cabin.

scotscrew
    Participant

My first experience of the 747 was as a boy of 17. I worked for a travel agent and we used to get points towards a holiday with Jetsave ( anyone remember the free travel bags) if we sold their tours I boarded the Transamerica 747 classic in Manchester bound for Miami and was directed up the spiral staircase to an all economy upper deck. It was a magical experience that I will never forget. Little did I know that in later life I would be working on the classic and -400 as crew for the last 20 years of my career. She will always have a special place in my heart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls