5 years in prison is woefully inadequate ……..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

……. for whoever, and I suspect terrorists, is responsible for the closure of LGW last night and this morning.

Disruption of travel plans for potentially hundreds of thousands of people at one of the busiest times of the year, massive and probably irrecoverable costs to airlines, and this may just be the start of a coordinated attack using drones to distribute poison or nerve gas over a crowded public place.

The things should never have been allowed for use by the great unwashed.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GoDownSouth
    Participant

While I agree with half of your post – you really are a proper snob.

It must be wonderful to be as amazing as you clearly are.

I am off to have a wash now.

capetonianm
    Participant

You may not be aware that ‘the great unwashed’ is a term frequently used semi-humorously, at least in the UK, for the ‘general public’. It may have derogatory overtones, however I make no apology for using it in this context, nor for being a ‘proper snob’, to which I readily admit.

8 users thanked author for this post.

GoDownSouth
    Participant

I am aware of the term as I originate from the UK.

I am not at all surprised that you are so ready to admit to your snobbishness.

I have been reading this forum for years and you are clearly an intelligent person with a lot of very well informed opinions that I generally agree with.

The sad thing for me is that it all gets ruined by the snobby bit. All sides of the coin will need to change their positions to affect any real change in this mad world – including the snobs.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Personally I am quite surprised the police did not shoot them down. Without warning. That is I submit the only way to stop copycat actions – as it is every idiot who wants to cause mayhem can now do so at minimal cost (the cheapest drones are well under £100).

4 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Cedric, I agree.
    A simple call to the local Clay shoot would speedily resolve the issue – permanently for these idiots.
    BPP

3 users thanked author for this post.

britbloke007
    Participant

The easiest way to catch a drone is to use another drone using Tracking Learning Detection. The battery time of a drone will vary between 10-30 mins, after which it will need to return to base. Only another drone, suitably set up, can follow it back to its pilot.

capetonianm
    Participant

GoDownSouth : I didn’t know where you originate from hence my reference to the term ‘the great unwashed’ being used mainly in the UK, it was not meant to sound patronising towards you.

As for your other comments, on the one hand, thank you, and on the other, I fear we will have to agree to disagree.

stevescoots
    Participant

Police have said they wont shoot down, its elf n’ safety, stray bullets and all. I agree, just send the local clay shooters over.its not beyond the wit of man to licence these things. you cannot buy any of them that are over 50m range without a licence and the training to go with it.

Stephbaker
    Participant

I guess they could have just shot the drone down. I don’t know why they won’t. What is the fear of stray bullets?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I heard/read that these were industrial size drones – not just the ones you can buy as a drone starter kit. So I think shooting them down if much larger would be much more dangerous.

Derek1948
    Participant

Now on a train from Gatwick to home, free ticket as well! Flight due out at 8am this morning to Faro. Boarded plane at 9.40. Captain kept us informed with frequent ‘no news yet’ announcements and 2 and a half hours later we’re told flight has been cancelled and to rebook. Customer Services at BA were extremely helpful and booked us on next flight to Faro with availability- unfortunately this wasn’t until Saturday morning from Heathrow and via Barcelona. Still better 5 days away than none. And BA girl said to claim for extra expenses later. If they catch the drone operator I hope they put him away for the maximum time.

canucklad
    Participant

Putting him or even her away, might prove to be more difficult than everyone thinks……

It very much will depend on what criminal offence that warrants a period of incarceration the authorities decide to prosecute under.
    And the ability of the prosecution to prove guilt under the chosen act.

If it turns out to be a tree hugger who cites their right to protest at the expansion of a 2nd runway, a whole host of difficulties arise.
    If it’s a moron with “ mental issues” , a whole host of difficulties arise.

I’d equally pursue a criminal and civil suit against this clown.
    Simply put ….hit them hard , very hard in the pocket.

Whatever they own is sold off as partial recompense.
    If thy have a salary/wage , they are left with just enough to survive on and no more.

Account in the word accountability needs to become more punitive !!
    Make their life as miserable as they have deliberately done to others.

And actually, make them explain to the kids why they couldn’t visit Santa in Lapland today, would be a bloody good starting point !!!

ImissConcorde
    Participant

If this technology is available for prisons (a smaller footprint I agree) could it not be adapted for airports}

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/18/anti-drone-technology-introduced-english-prisons-skyfence

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If we have any gun fanatics in the forum, please can they educate me about how a bullet, can be a health and safety issue if being shot upwards into a drone. Come to that, how would a bullet being shot from above a drone, be dangerous from height.

I think it is a nonsense with the defence budget YK Plc has, that a few drones around an airport are allowed to disrupt the second busiest airport in the UK..

Bring in the Israeli’s who have a skill at shooting down inbound rockets, most nights….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls