2012: Another “Extra” Bank Holiday for HM The Queen

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Just listening to R4 and noted a piece on the HM The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in June 2012.

This will mean we don’t have the usual late May Bank Holiday (as the Monday off is moved to the following week) and instead we will have a four day weekend from Saturday 2 June to Tuesday 5 June (inclusive), so the odd prospect of a Tuesday Bank Holiday for (possibly?) the first time ever.

It’s another “three days vacation for nine days on hols”, so for those thus constrained it’s well worth planning a break then!

Many of you will be planning May trips for next year and so it’s worth highlighting this as although it’s been written about, this was the first I’d heard of it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8441972.stm

JordanD
    Participant

It has been well trailed, since the Lord Mandelson announced it last January, but nevertheless, it is not the first time ever. For the Golden Jubilee of HM The Queen in 2002, there was a ‘four day weekend’, with the Monday & Tuesday being public holidays – on that occasion, the Monday was the ‘bonus’ day and the Tuesday was the delayed late May Bank Holiday (officially known as the Spring Bank Holiday).

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think I was abroad last January, so missed it first time round.

It’s good to note it as many of us will be planning next years’ hols in the coming days.

VintageKrug
    Participant

So how is everyone celebrating the Jubilee..?

capetonianm
    Participant

As an ardent royalist I will be staying as far away from the ‘Untied Kingdom’ for as long as possible. Mind you, I always do, so no change there!

openfly
    Participant

I shallbe spending this Diamond Jubilee exactly as I did the last one…..with a large glass of Malmsy.

RichHI1
    Participant

Memorial Day stays the 28th, I shall be in US during the affected weeks so makes no odds to me. Though Extra Bank Holidays do seem to be the vogue this year with all these royal jamborees. Is it wise when we cannot pay our bills?

TominScotland
    Participant

openfly – I am impressed by your longevity……..

Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee of 1897 was both a more restrained and a far grander celebration of her reign than the Golden Jubilee of the previous decade. The Queen’s own involvement was greatly diminished on account of her increasing frailty. As an example of alterations in ceremony, the thanksgiving service took place not in Westminster Cathedral, but in the open outside St Paul’s Cathedral, so that the Queen could remain in her carriage. The scope of the celebrations, however, expanded considerably for the Diamond Jubilee, with a celebration of empire becoming arguably the central theme.

Before leaving Buckingham Palace on 22 June, the Queen issued a telegraph throughout the empire, saying ‘From my heart I thank my beloved people. May God bless them!’ Invitations had been issued to all the Indian princes, but many were forced to remain at home to deal with the aftermath of the devastating famine of 1896-7. Many Indian troops, however, participated in the processions through London, including Bengal lancers, officers of the Indian Imperial Service Troops in kirtas with gold sashes, and Sikhs marching alongside Canadians. The Daily Mail wrote: ‘Up they came, more and more, new types, new realms at every couple of yards, an anthropological museum – a living gazetteer of the British Empire’ (23 June 1897).

Upon her return to Windsor on 23 June, the Queen was met by four young Indian students from Eton College: ‘sons of the Maharajahs of Kuch, Behar, the Minister of Hydrebad, and the Prince of Gondal’ (King, p. 268). On 2 July the Queen surveyed the colonial troops at Windsor. A court circular erroneously claimed she had addressed the Indians in Hindustani, which was allowed to pass by the Queen who said ‘I could have done so had I wished’ (Ponsonby, pp. 62-3; quoted in King, p. 269).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fascinating Tom, from which book did they come from. Googling “King” or Ponsonby returned too many results!

From my side, I’ll be watching the pageant of the Royal barge from a friends flat on the Thames on June 3rd. Then I’ve been invited to a Jubilee celebration at the British Embassy.

We are hosting a Jubilee party in Knysna for all our British expat and S. Afican “Royalist” friends sometime in July.

And that’s about it. One things for sure though, I won’t be watching the Olympics!

HongKongLady
    Participant

LuganoPirate, how lucky for you to have such a splendid viewing platfrom to watch the pageant. I hope you have a great time. I will be in HK so will unfortunately not be able to gather beside the Thames to see the amazing sight and become part of history. I will watch on TV ( hopefully sky will show it ) with a glass or 2 of a good champagne.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks HKLady, and that reminds me I forgot to add, we’ll also be getting through a few bottles of champers. However it will be British Champagne, not the Fench stuff in keeping with the occasion!

Enjoy the occasion and I’ll raise my glass in solidarity with you.

dutchyankee
    Participant

LuganoPirate, enjoy the festivities, but let me say it before VK does; it can’t be called Champagne if it’s British!! 🙂 Other than that, I wish I could enjoy the festivities the way you will be! Sounds fabulous! I’ll be stuck watching it all on TV unfortunately. Enjoy

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Unlike most here, I will be working, in KSA and then in transit to France, for another couple of days.

The downside to globalization is that at least one country is always open for business.

On the other hand, it puts food on our table.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have managed to get into a suite at The Savoy; I’m hoping the trees won’t obscure the view….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls