100 BA upgrades from WT – First today.

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919278]I think there is less commercial sense in upgrading 100 top tier FF’s than 100 selected on the basis of their purpose of travel on Valentines day.

This IS a marketing exercise.

Who would be interesting in seeing a video of 100 Gold card holders getting preferential treatment (again) at a check in desk. No one would be interested as this does happen on a daily basis anyway. I think there would be more a rolling of the eyes from the viewer than anything.[/quote]

Of course, RF. And many frequent flyers are demanding customers, used to upgrades and in a sense a bit blasé. These guys on the video are truly thrilled. It is nice to watch, and indeed has more marketing value.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=919361]

I think there is less commercial sense in upgrading 100 top tier FF’s than 100 selected on the basis of their purpose of travel on Valentines day.

This IS a marketing exercise.

Who would be interesting in seeing a video of 100 Gold card holders getting preferential treatment (again) at a check in desk. No one would be interested as this does happen on a daily basis anyway. I think there would be more a rolling of the eyes from the viewer than anything.

Of course, RF. And many frequent flyers are demanding customers, used to upgrades and in a sense a bit blasé. These guys on the video are truly thrilled. It is nice to watch, and indeed has more marketing value.[/quote]

And that’s what I find so amusing about some peoples reactions to this PR stunt. On one of the blog sites someone had posted than anyone travelling on ‘the published first class fare’ on flights where these people were upgraded should have the difference in the first class fare and WT fare refunded to them.

But on a day to day basis when you are sat in F or J do you know who has paid what?

Although it differs route to route the reality is a minority of passengers sat in F will likely be on a published F fare. Some will be on hugely discounted corporate deals. Some will be using upgraded vouchers or Avios or their Amex 2-4-1. Some will likely be staff with a F entitlement. Some may have elected to shell out the extra prmotional upgrade amount online during OLCI. There may be one or two that have been upgraded at the request of the captain (usually friends of one of their flight crew colleagues). And some may just be INVOL U/G as it’s common for M or W to be overbooked which spills over into J which spills over into F.

The only difference in this scenario is that it was very publicly promoted and the selection criteria was not as usual. But for one day in the year, it makes a nice change, no?

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I sometimes feel like giving certain clients special rates or additional services, but if I cross subsidised client fees, (i.e. gave a category of client a special fee arrangement) my regulators would be all over me…

I remember a few years ago, sitting next to a staff flyer who proudly informed me he had been upgraded to first cos he knew the check in agent…. I didn’t feel too comfortable on that flight knowing what had been paid for my seat.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919379]I sometimes feel like giving certain clients special rates or additional services, but if I cross subsidised client fees, (i.e. gave a category of client a special fee arrangement) my regulators would be all over me…

I remember a few years ago, sitting next to a staff flyer who proudly informed me he had been upgraded to first cos he knew the check in agent…. I didn’t feel too comfortable on that flight knowing what had been paid for my seat.[/quote]

That is a different situation as the feel is to have been unfairly treated. And nobody likes it. It is like when we negotiate petty fees: we don’t do it for the few bucks we would save, but to give us the feel we had a good and fair price.

Here though, the lucky winners were not friends or mates, but only regular passengers that once in their life time (for many) will experience First. And they will enjoy that flight more than we would do!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls