Is BA axing LCY to JFK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Andrew
    Participant

Am planning a special anniversary trip and am aiming to use the BA LCY to JFK route in mid August 2017.

Just wondered if anyone knows if BA are still committed to this route given that they axed one of the services last year ?

Kass
    Participant

Not that I have heard of… we have no plans are far as I am aware to stop or reduce this service… how did you hear this ?

mkcol74
    Participant

I understood the later flight was cancelled due to the Shannon pre-clearance facility not staying open late enough to service that rotation, and that then removed a major KSP for the operation.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Loads could be better for this service, esp on the outbound from LCY-JFK. I believe this has more to do with the timing than anything else.
    The Bombardier CS100 is probably the biggest threat to this route, having just completed a non-stop from LCY–JFK on 25 March 2017, proving that it can be done.
    I love the LCY route, but like the OP, I wonder just how much life is in it these days. If BA really made something of it like they did when it started (upgraded catering, PJs, better wines/fizz to really make the service stand out from LHR/LGW to NYC), I think it would have a bit of a chance. But I doubt it would be cancelled by August given we have already started the summer season.

Andrew
    Participant

Didn’t hear it however noticed that the second daily flight had been axed with relatively little notice and was concerned that might happen to the BA0001

Planning a special trip and couldn’t decide whether to do Aer Lingus premier or take the plunge and do BA001 and run the risk of the BA customer service chaos if they decided to cancel it

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think the big advantage of the Shannon stop over the non stop CS100 is the pre clearance meaning you get to arrive as a domestic passenger. A non stop will be the same as BA/LX etc arriving into the scrum that’s often JFK.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Titan Airways is leasing one of BA’s two A318s used on this route now that service frequency has been cut.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/titan-to-acquire-all-premium-a318-from-ba-436803/

Flightlevel
    Participant

A318s might be better used on quiet flights from LHR to some destinations ‘though don’t think they carry containers and have different engines(?) to the standard A320s so may not fit in to LHR operations.
    One could be painted on right side in royal flight markings and used on occasions for that purpose!
    The CS300 was almost empty on return to JFK so can it operate the route with full load? Without pre-clearance at Shannon it may not compete?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flightlevel – The CS100 wasn’t “almost empty” It flew LCY-JFK non-stop with a reduced payload which would be similar to a 40-seat business class layout.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/cs100-flies-transatlantic-nonstop-from-london-city-435573/

Flightlevel
    Participant

It implies that the CS100 can do it ‘though it is yet to be certified on the route and the CS300 will do it easily if its certified for LCY. Will BA or another airline invest in new aircraft with reducing loads accross the Atlantic?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Range isn’t everything at LCY. Aircraft must also meet LCY’s steep glidescope, its short runway(1,508 m), its noise restrictions and its limited room for parking.

As we’ve already reported the CS100 recently received approval.

Bombardier CS100 approved for London City

CS300 is a larger aircraft and requires more runway length (at MTOW) than does the CS100.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

with only one 318, what is the back up plan if the one remaining aircraft goes tech…? Switch passengers into/from LHR/Gatwick?

conc001
    Participant

Think BA will axe this one. Current management is not interested in running a decent airline. Difficult to run a route will one suitable plane. I would stick to LHR if I was you.

Panda01
    Participant

I have always wondered why BA had this route when there is Heathrow. Should the route be closed, I won’t be surprised. The market for it is very small, it is expensive (both for the airline and customer), most people might prefer Heathrow and they don’t have any other planes to cover for the route if something happens.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am surprised that more people haven’t taken advantage of this route, which is the only same aircraft route from the UK to USA that arrives as a domestic arrival.

For travellers to the States with onward connections or who do not have the time to suffer the USA immigration Q’s, this route is ideal.

As for cost, the fact that I have used it a couple of time, proves there are sometimes some very good deals on this route.

I too think the route will cease as it can not be sustained with just one aircraft… unless of course, there is going to be a replacement aircraft type, which could be used for lower loadings.

It’s strange as LCY-JFK is certainly a unique route with advantages over the more traditional routings..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls