BA 747 collision at JNB

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

Could it be because passengers had their iPads etc still switched on…as per the new regulations!!? Bet the Daily Mail comes up with that theory!

DanDare1975
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

The Daily Mail are about to roll out the usual hype about ‘narrowly missing a crowded shopping mall thronged with pre-Christmas shoppers as thousands of gallons of blazing petrol poured out of the gaping holes in the aircraft’s tanks.’

BigDog.
    Participant

Glad no-one was hurt. No doubt as revisionist in residence VK/SM holds BA pilots in such high esteem, he will be hyping that it was the building that was at fault.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

male/female Captain? – purely out of interest….:)

Does show how strong the wing is..

canucklad
    Participant

als glad nobody was hurt, classic complaint about British class system ala the Titanic makes me laugh.
    1st class evacuated first !!

BigDog
    Your post reminds me of this following transcript

American Military Prowess
    Radio conversation released by the chief of naval operations 10.10.95:

AMERICANS:
    Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.
    CANADIANS:
    Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision
    AMERICANS:
    This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
    CANADIANS:
    No, I say again, divert YOUR course.
    AMERICANS:
    THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ENTERPRISE; WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW.
    CANADIANS:
    This is a small Canadian lighthouse. Your call.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

It reminds me more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEhPZew_JA0

superchris
    Participant

in the report I heard 4 people were hurt in the building. BA need to thank their lucky stars this wasnt their A380 which is due in Joburg in February. With 15 meter longer wingspan than the 744, the damage and injuries would surely have been worse and with all that fuel in the wings could have been catastrophic.

From a safety perspective, I suspect BA cant wait for this annus horriblis to end…

I bet SM is choking on his eggnog this morning wondering how to get rid of all these threads…….

SimonS1
    Participant

BA does seem to have had some navigational problems of late.

I saw last week a flight to GRU had to be diverted to Viracopos 100km away because the pilot didn’t have the landing diagrams for GRU on board.

Thankfully there were no fatalities (or so it appears), let’s hope everyone gets home in time for Christmas.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

SuperChris

It will not have happened in SM’s universe – he just ignores anything too difficult, such as posts that point out the truth and just keeps paddlin’ down de nile.

superchris
    Participant

he has a paddle??!!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

So they say 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@SimonS1, one of the issues BA face on the flight deck of some of their fleets (only know for certain re the 747) is they still rely on outdated computers which DO NOT hold all suitable alternates and not able to embrace iPAD technology, instead still reliant on paper charts..

Most (OK not 100%) airline ops are embracing paperless cockpits, which is the way forward..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls