Qantas says it has updated its forward schedule to accommodate customers across its network, “regardless of when A380 aircraft re-enter service”.
The carrier says the schedule will “provide certainty for customers planning to travel in the near future”, and added that it has flown 505 of 512 schedule services between November 5 and November 11.
Qantas says that all of its available aircraft are being used to minimise schedule disruptions. In order to operate Boeing 747 aircraft on routes previously operated by A380 aircraft, the carrier has replaced 747s with A330s on the Sydney to Narita and Sydney to Hong Kong routes. In A330s have been replaced by B767s on Perth to Singapore services.
Qantas also says that minor changes have been made to aircraft operating certain domestic services in order to provide alternate capacity on the Qantas international network.
As yet there is no official news as to when Qantas’ A380 aircraft will return to service. In a statement released today (November 11) the carrier said:
“Qantas is continuing an intensive inspection programme on all Rolls-Royce engines in its A380 fleet and Qantas engineers have removed three engines to undertake further examination.
“Engineers have been investigating the engines in detail and how their components and design perform under operational conditions, as opposed to the original out-of-factory expectations.
“The European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) today issued an Airworthiness Directive for all Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines. Qantas’ ongoing inspection program is fully compliant with this directive. The specific checks mandated by the directive were already being carried out by Qantas in conjunction with Rolls-Royce.
“Qantas’ A380 aircraft will not return to service until there is complete certainty that the fleet can operate safely.”
For more information visit qantas.com.au.
Report by Mark Caswell