News

BA cabin crew reject latest offer

7 May 2010 by BusinessTraveller

British Airways cabin crew have “overwhelmingly rejected” the airline’s latest offer aimed at ending the long-running industrial dispute.

The Unite union says that 81 per cent of members voted against the proposals, with a turnout of 71 per cent. 

Joint general secretary Tony Woodley had previously recommended in a letter to members that they reject the latest offer, as travel concessions had not been restored to those crew who had taken part in earlier strikes, and because disciplinary action was being taken against some union members.

BA said that it was “disappointed” at the outcome, and that the offer addressed all the concerns raised during 14 months of talks. 

“We urge Unite to put an end to this unnecessary dispute and focus on the best interests of its members. There can be nothing positive to be gained from further strikes,” said BA.

“Unlike other businesses and airlines, we have avoided compulsory redundancies. Cabin crew face no pay cut or reduction in terms and conditions – and remain the best rewarded in the UK airline industry.   

“It is not too late for Unite to put an end to this dispute and support our recovery from two consecutive years of record losses and return to sustained profitability and job security for its members.”

Unite will now meet on Monday (May 10) “to discuss next moves in the dispute”, including the possiblity of further strike action.

For more information visit ba.com, unitetheunion.org.

Loading comments...
Share with your friends










Submit
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls