Zero tolerance for drunken behaviour

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

Following the Government iniatives on cutting Binge Drinking, the medical revelations about hidden middle class alcoholism and the alcohol fueled behaviour in the House of Commons, it caused me to think the spate of cases of drunken behaviour on aircraft seem to have ended. I can only remember one from last year of a young lady who became intoxicated ans started propositioning everyone in sight.

Two questions, is the reduction in drunken behaviour a reality? Do yuo have any recent (or not so recent) examples? and second if so is this a direct reaction to airlines’ implementing zero tolerance for such behaviour?

I have noticed on BA and AA flights in premium cabins that there has been a definite cut back in alcohol offered. The arm twisting to have another has subdued a lot. (The cynic in me said it was to save money on the Champagne but may be it is for reasons of decorum?)

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I noticed when I CE the other week the cabin crew asked “would you like me to leave the bottle with you” to every passenger that ordered champagne everybody said yes.. I wondered why they dont have full sized bottles.. Swiss do on most aircraft.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hardly ever drink when flying. Rarely I may indulge in a G & T or a glass of Port with some cheese. But I am continually asked from boarding, with every course, and in between if I’d like some wine, champers etc. There’s almost a cry of relief from the crew when I finally ask for some Port.

Having said that, in over 45 years of flying millions of miles, I cannot think of one incidence where people have been drunk and unpleasant or threatening.

Admittedly my sister had an incident recently where a pax tried to open the door in flight and threatened to bring down the plane. He was restrained but he was sober. Just went mad!

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn thanks for the Depardieu link. I read about that but I missed it was alcohol driven. I thought he was asserting Gallic indepence when not being allowed to use the bathroom before take off.

I would be interested to hear crew experiences. Mixed Fleet, Legacy Crews or Flight Deck.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“From the Times of Malta no less”

It must be true, then 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Don’t tell me you are the editor!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls