Zambia Airways – slow progress but new route to Mfuwe

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

A few years ago I started a discussion about what was then a new Zambia Airways being born and examining its merits and opportunities to become a regional mini-hub, reflecting on the demise of Air Namibia and SAA struggles.

I thought to give an update on them for posters here who travel to and around Africa.

Well not much in the way of a hub so far and they are growing very slowly, which shows shareholder Ethiopian is being very hands off with regards to its operations and marketing. The Gov remains the majority shareholder.

What is good is that they are obviously being very cautious with expansion and fleet but their website does not inspire confidence and where they say they fly to and what shows in an OAG guide do not match…

Their website indicated they have domestic routes to Solwezi, Ndola and Livingstone (Victoria Falls) and regionally to Harare and Joburg and believe their fleet is one or two Dash Q400 and one 737-800.

I saw on the excellent aeroroutes website that they are launching Mfuwe in the east of the country and main entry to the Luangwa Valley safari region, and gives schedules, but their website simply says “coming soon”. Much of the website gives very little away.

I wonder therefore if ET should give some more guidance or the Management Board should seek more outside advice.

Given ET have a substantial shareholding you might think they would be more engaged, but maybe they do not want “ZN” to take too much away from their own Addis hub.

Up until the early 90s Zambia Airways had a network that reached to New York, London, Frankfurt, Rome, Jeddah and to Bombay (as it was then) and a substantial regional network using DC-10, 737 and ATR (along with a DC-8). I cannot see that returning (!) but do think given airlines in Namibia, Zimbabwe etc and SAA seemingly remaining something close to a basket case that there is an opportunity for further expansion. Also arguably Joburg is too far south to be an effective hub for countries north of it.

When the new airline was launched I think the target was to grow to 10 or 12 aircraft but it might take quite a while to get there given the past 2 years!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls