Worldsim – anyone else have problems?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

My Day to day Phone is a Note 5 dual sim but I also Use a portable wi-fi hotspot and drop a local Sim into it when travelling to countries where Data roaming is extortionate. My hotspot is the size of a credit card and about as thick as an average phone so it sits just right in my wallet

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I’ve found Know Roaming to be a great service. It’s a sticker you place on your sim and it automatically connects you to a network and offers unlimited data packages in most worldwide destinations.

JKL
    Participant

I too use my UK Three SIM card in most of the countries I visit, with their Feel at Home package – it works in various European countries, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and others. Annoyingly (for me) not in Malaysia or Thailand, but I have a PAYG SIM card from Hotlink (Malaysia) which I can top up periodically from here via their app, which stops the number expiring. Hotlink seems to offer reasonable roaming rates for most other Asian countries (I think I paid 38MYR – – about £6 – for 1 or 2 GB last time I was in Thailand, and the same in Cambodia. I also came across a thing called Flexiroam (www.flexiroam.com) – a microchip you stick over your existing SIM card to let you use a free data allowance overseas. I haven’t used it myself, and I’m not sure what the position would be re ‘interfering’ with your SIM card if you’re in-contract, but it may be of use to some.

lesmclaren
    Participant

Also given up on WorldSim, never could get it to work, especially on data despite buying what was supposed to be a dedicated data sim!.
    Lest hope the multitude of airlines that sell these cards on board take heed and discontinue them!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

So, I arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Monday and the SIM and Data was working, so maybe they fixed it remotely (or something).
    When I arrived, I had data credit of $100USD and 1 day later, it was gone, all of it. The hotel, bars and restaurants I visited all had WiFi so lord only knows where the credit went? I used data for Uber but that’s about all.

When I arrived in Manila, I bought a SIM for around £0.40 and bought call & data for around £4.00 and the store topped it up for free, to last 3 days with 1GB free data.
    I will do the same in Cambodia.

I think WorldSim was a good idea originally, but in reality, it doesn’t perform in a way that I find useful or easy to track.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve tried a number of these global SIMs and haven’t found a single one that works the way I want. Either the rates are too high, or the credit expires too fast, or it doesn’t work in some of the countries I visit. In the end I normally have to fall back on buying local SIM cards in each country when I arrive. That works in most cases, but it can still be a hassle getting each one set up and making sure the right data/text/voice package has been chosen.

There’s a real opportunity in the market for some enterprising individual or organisation to come up with a roaming data SIM that works reliably almost anywhere and has reasonable charges. I’d be quite happy to pay 10% or 20% more than I would with a local SIM just for the convenience of a no-hassle SIM that I could simply drop in a spare phone and use whenever I travel.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls