Window blinds

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• fsav81
    Participant

I was flying domestically in the US last week and noticed how most passengers had their shutters down, even during take off and landing. The crew didn’t ask for them to be opened and indeed when we landed in Dallas, the crew requested all shutters to be closed so as to keep the plane cool, given the heat outside.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Had a similar request on KLM last week to close blinds after landing to keep the cabin cool. Crew were vigilant before landing though to make sure all blinds were fully open, two crew members passed through the cabin.

Cargoman
    Participant

Flew this week IAH-IAD on United.
    Every window blind was down for the whole flight, take off and landing.
    Scary !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I spoke at the weekend during the Rugby to a friend and neighbour who was a senior captain with SAA. He continues to be involved in aviation through aircraft ownership as well as providing training and systems to several major airlines. This is what he told me. Window blinds always open on take-off and landing, and cabin lights dimmed.

The rule is mandated by ICAO who leave it to IATA to enforce. The rule is passed to each airline through their IATA membership who are required to enforce it. The airlines are audited, and this includes them interviewing crew and passengers as to whether rules have been obeyed.

One important factor, especially at night, is in the event of an evacuation, the eyes can take several seconds to adapt to the darkness if the lights were left on. These extra seconds can make the difference between a full successful evacuation – or not!

His explanations were a bit more technical than that and I can’t recall all the technical phrases he used, but I hope you’ll understand the above explanation?

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay did this on landing for many years back in the day but not now. Unless at more tropical out-ports that I don’t get too

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls